Sun protection wth cage fitted

olliecast

Hi all,
Now i`ve got my cage fitted i`ve had to remove the sun visors.

Out driving the other day i got blinded and would have been stuffed without my sunglasses.

My window has a fairly deep standard tinted area as

Has anyone toyed with fitting a functional sun stip? (just to blend in with the car colour) and is anyone aware of the law on them?
I`ve read that the wipers cannot encroach onto the strip, in which case i can`t see it being worth it as the standard wiper line encroaches in ~3 inches into the standard tint area.

there`s some lugs welded onto the top bar on my cage, may see if i could use something attached to these.

has anyone else had the same problem with the cage fitted?

Cheers,
ollie

Last edited:

katemc

Hi Ollie ,

I remove the headling , fitted the cage then screwed the sunvisors back in the down position.
I think this will be ok , its not moving yet so only time will tell!! lol

olliecast

hi kate,
Thats a good idea , however i don`t there`s room under my bar on the sd cage.

May have to get a good pair of sunnies 8)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I just went down to Halfords and bought a black unbranded sunstrip for less than a tenner and fitted it.

It’s up to you how low you fit it, but it does its job. Not only that, by removing your original sun visors they then won't be in your way when driving on track or at night.

gtirjoey

basically the law is visor cannot be in the swept area, with this in mind there is no law saying you cant put smaller wipers on your car;-)

olliecast

Or why not wear sunglasses?
Because I'll forget them, lol.

Anyone done the wiper thing?

My eyeline is about level with the steering wheel so would be a good idea to get the wiper path lower.

are wipers a standard spline?

Cheers,
Ollie

Last edited:

olliecast

always wondered what you looked like shroom ;)

I`m 5" foot 9" and my seat is on the deck (~1mm off the floor :)). all that weight nice and low. Does look daft when your in the car though, looks like a kid driving. Also concerned about clipping bails / barrels this year.

gonna nip to the local friendly motor factors and see if they`ve got any shorter length blades.

Will let you know which i go for...........

olliecast

I thing you'll look like more of a mong to the untrained public with a sun strip than just wearing sunglasses whilst driving
Couldn`t give a shit about public driving as its not going to be used for chirping through city centres or rev`ing in the local mac-do`s ;-)

RU55 GTR

Can't you retro-fit the old sun visor to the cage i.e. zip-tie them on? Their length hanging-down shouldn't be an issue as you are so low in the car anyway?!

olliecast

Can't you retro-fit the old sun visor to the cage i.e. zip-tie them on? Their length hanging-down shouldn't be an issue as you are so low in the car anyway?!
no can do matey as per the link above:
"Sun visors

Sunvisors fitted to the driver's side, which cannot be stowed in the 'offscreen' position and which drop down obstructing the view through the swept area of the windscreen are a reason for rejection. A similar defect on the passenger side sunvisor is not a reason for rejection."

you like your sun glasses don`t you 8);-)

M4RV3

you could always have a jumbo window tint sun strip on the inside as this doesnt come into the sweep area of the wipers as its on the inside! just like Geo3's on the left