sump plug with hole in middle

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Have drill? Have silicone? Problem solved?

EDIT: Actually, maybe that's a little hard to do - it's quite a long thing to drill through.
Why not get one of those sandwich plates that has a port for a thermometer on it?

Last edited:

Godzilla

yeah them standard plugs are quite thick so would take some time to do plus i woudnt trust silicone with 100degree of oil plus the pressure etc.

already fitted my sandwich plate as i couldnt find one with both cooler and sensor holes, so sump plug is the only option now really.

Shaun

Theres no pressure in the sump plus both sumps and the pump its self are held on with silicone.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Thinking laterally then, vould you just undo the sump, push the thermocouple in, and seal the silicone around it?
Or, and this really is crazy because there's no going back; drill a hole in the side of the sump and seal it up with silicone and a grommet?
So crazy that it just might work!

GTIR-LOZ

just remove the sump drill and tap the sump in a different location and then fit the sensor - they usually have some sort of threaded mount to weld in etc

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Is the sump not the coolest place for oil to get a reading from?
...not as cool as an oil cooler!
Actually, if you've got an oil cooler; can't you T in a connection for the sensor into the pipework after the adaptor (but before it goes into the cooler obviously)?

takumigtir

get yourself some swagelok

the best thing for you to get to fix you nice new thermocouple in your sump plug is a little threaded connector known as swagelok there only a couple of quid come in a number of sizes including 3,6mm and have a tapered squash ring which ensures you will have no leaks but can be easily taken out again ,basically all you would have to do is drill and tap the sump plug and tighten in the swagelok which is also tapered thread to stop it leaking,but i personally would put a small bit off sealer on it ie locktite thread seal as it wont do any harm hope this helps

Godzilla

thanks guys . takumigitir will look into that,

as regards the tapping into the hoses i wouldnt even wanna go there especially as there thick and braided will make a right hash of it,