Strut lock nut (can't get it off)

J

J-GTi-R

Trying to put in my lowering springs tonight, I got stuck trying to remove the lock nut on the top of the damper. When I try and undo the nut, the damper just spins within itself and the nut doesn't undo. I've done one side at the front, but the other side is being a complete pig...

HELP, I can't drive the car with ONE lowing spring in it... :?

R

rsnissan

you need to slacken the nuts off on the car so the damper doesnt spin.
If you have taken it off already though then just use a bar across the three bolts on the strut assembley to brace the damper and stop it rotating.

J

J-GTi-R

Cheers, I'll try that tonight. The strut is back on the car (had to move it) so I'll losen the nut in situ and try again.

I did try putting a bar across the three bolts last night, but the damper still rotated. Hopefull being back in the car will help.

Shaun

:D If you still have problems,take it to a Tyre Bay and ask them if you can use their wheel gun,as the backward and forward motion of the gun will remove it :!: I use one all the time when fitting lowering springs :!:

S

Sunny Nutter

and if that doesnt work make a small slit on the rubber boot around the damper at the very top, get one large vice grips (on as tight as you can) to hold the damper shaft from spinning and loosen the nut! :wink:

J

J-GTi-R

I thought about that, but wouldn't that damage the damper shaft? Possibly not, as I imagine it's pretty hard.

geetee

yeee - haaa the cowboyz r here.... vice grips indeed :lol:

Yes this would damage the damper rod - it's not that hard!

But then that part of the damper rod is unlikely to actually pass the seal into the damper body - unless you hit a bloody great pothole and totally compress the hell out of your suspension.

Cheers
GeeTee

J

J-GTi-R

Yee-haa, pass me some more beans pardner... :lol: :lol:

Ok, bunked off the afternoon from work and had another go. The bolt across the three bolts failed miserably, it just spun again, so off with the damper and out with the vice-grips... :D

I clamped the damper rod good an proper and got the nut off. I didn't slit the boot, just pushed it up as high as it would go and clamped there. I checked afterwards and there was no damage what-so-ever, not even a mark 8)

So that's two in, I think I'll leave it until the week-end to do the rears.

Cheers for the help guys :D :D