Struggles at High RPM

Tim

Not sure if this is a problem per-se, but I noticed at Rockingham yesterday that my car struggled somewhat at anything past 6k rpm, especially in 4th. No misfire or anything, it just felt as if it didn't want to rev anymore and now would be a good time to change gear.

Car is due a service, and it was the first time it's been on track with the cat fitted which could be causing a restriction.

As part of the imminent service, can anyone suggest things to look for as a just in case? I intend to refit the decat and also move from the standard airbox to a larger cone filter and air box setup too.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Ignition - What plug gap (and plugs) are you running?

Mine ran out of power on the dyno because the gaps were too small and it just couldn't spark; there was no misfire, but you can clearly see the power drop then start to build again.

Tim

Good points chaps..

Plugs - I've no idea, whatever was in it when i bought the car 2 years ago, never had any real problems with ignition, or so i thought. Perhaps it's time to change them? Plug suggestions for a standard car?

Fuel pump / Fuel filter - Never had the filter off, are they a sealed unit? I'll replace it as a matter of course, if it's sealed i'll open it up and see what shape it's in. As for fuel pump, any ideas how I might check for that failing?

Andy, I was considering speaking to you about a check over / remap, so perhaps now's the time to do that, let me let my bank account recover after a month on holiday in the states and I'll get in touch.