Strange Vibrations/Noises from the Rear?

nickg123

Now this is hard to explain - and even weirder to experience!!

The other day when it was really wet - when driving along i got this weird vibrating/rumbling coming from what felt like the rear diff/axle area - i put the clutch in and increased the revs to around 4000, and it still did it - it actually got worse with the revs?!? It has done it again but only in the wet - what the hell could this be?

Would this mean it's likely to be my exhaust or something??? I couldn't think what would cause this vibrating noise if the clutch was in - and it got worse with the revs increasing!?

It feels like something is vibrating against the bottom of the car - so i was thinking the heat shield or something over the exhaust could be touching?

Why it would only do it when wet i really don't know.............

Also the car makes this weird vibrating noise at the back left when taking right hand bends so i still can't figure that out - is it likely my Diff is needing oil or something?

It only does it if you go around a bend fairly hard - we changed all suspension so it's not that......

Could it be a rear CV joint?

J

J-GTi-R

I'd check the exhaust. When I had mine fitted it wasn't hung right and it was making all sorts of vibrating noises, especially when cornering. It felt like my car was about to fall apart at one point.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
nickg123 said:
we changed all suspension so it's not that......
Was that for the 2nd hand suspension? There's no guarentee it ain't faulty.
Check the rear left wheel bearing if it always does it on right handers.
CV joint? don't know, but check it anyway.
Check exhaust for clearance, but it ain't on the left side. (well, it ain't on mine)
Check suspension components in general for wear.

nickg123

I think my Exhaust may be causing one of the problems - this morning it did it again just after i went through a big puddle.....

I don't understand why it would only make this strange rasping/vibrating when it gets wet???

Rear wheel bearing is a possibility.......

Keira

Did you have any strange noises and vibrations from the rear when you were at mikes the other week???

That's easily explained, he's a closet homo :shock: :)

J

Jonny H

not sure whether its the same problem but im getting vibration noises from, what sounds like my left rear arch....i havent checked mine yet but maybe check your bushes?