Strange knock whilst boosting or reving high :s

zee20

anyone?i put near gear box oil in, still the same, replaced one of the drive shafts, still the same, checked the starter motor, still the same, now dont know what to check

DannyGTI-R

I had this exact same problem with my R turned out to be oil starvation that had worn my thrust washers and one of them ended up sitting in my sump. The video is the exact same noise had me baffled for weeks. Excessive end float on the crank. Needed a new block and crank. It would also only do it when releasing the clutch in 1st and 2nd gear. Sorry to scare you but you have all the simptons.

zee20

I had this exact same problem with my R turned out to be oil starvation that had worn my thrust washers and one of them ended up sitting in my sump. The video is the exact same noise had me baffled for weeks. Excessive end float on the crank. Needed a new block and crank. It would also only do it when releasing the clutch in 1st and 2nd gear. Sorry to scare you but you have all the simptons.

i dont think its that though, the engine has only done 200 miles and it is a Tomei stroker kit. car runs fine in all other gears if you dont hit any boost.

DannyGTI-R

My car would run spot on never made the noise through the gears and slowing down just when pulling off with a bit of load on the clutch 1st and 2nd gear. It had me lost until I got so Pi**ed off I just stripped the engine after seeing the clutch vibrate so bad. The noise is like a grindy snatchy noise. If its a new build was the end float measured when new thrust washers were fitted??

zee20

everything was done professionally, now really upset as its been 3 weeks and spent over 24 hours looking for what it is, comes from the passenger side.

DannyGTI-R

I dont mean to scare you mate but my car had only done 2500 miles from a fresh rebuild. I do hope it isnt this have you taken it back to the guys that built it???

Bart GTI-R

Hi mate, could be any of whats already been mentioned especially by DannyGTI-R but start simple first, what exhaust have you got as they can sometimes knock on the subframe from take off, engine mounts ok and all lined up properly? also that electrical fault you mentioned could also be that the 2 earths up by the washer bottle have been doubled up, dont ask me why it causes problems just happened to me once! Hope that helps..

P

pulsarboby

hi bartman you back again:thumbsup:

ok zee, i also agree with danny on this as it could well be crank walk.
take the plate off on underside of sump to expose flywheel then get a lever bar behind crank pulley and lever it forward (away from engine), now crawl under car and lever the flywheel in opposite direction, if theres any endfloat that could be whats causing the prob and also whats boogering up your starter motor.
the more you leave it the worst it will get

could also be a busted diff in gearbox!

zee20

The engine mounts are near new condition mate, just been out in the car and it makes the crunching noise everytime I suddenly boost the car. If it is the crank then is it an easy fix?

zee20

The electrical fault is no longer there. The cars been stood for a few days and the abs light is on now

Bart GTI-R

Alright Pulsarboby, how are you mate?

Just thought Id have a look again at the pulsar website, thinking of getting another next year so might get a block over x mas to do up. Hows ur beast, I see less and less gti-r's on the road now. Hope you get urs sorted zee.

zee20

Alright Pulsarboby, how are you mate?

Just thought Id have a look again at the pulsar website, thinking of getting another next year so might get a block over x mas to do up. Hows ur beast, I see less and less gti-r's on the road now. Hope you get urs sorted zee.
Thanks Bart

DannyGTI-R

Sorry mate but if the crunching noise is end float then it could be one or the other as in, could strip engine, re measure crank, little re grind and over size thrust washers special order. Or crank + block could be knackered and start from fresh......again

zee20

right, has anyone left there gearbox on their r with no oil and driven it?thats what i did and thats whats started making the noise. I filled it back up and it quietened down a little. can someone confirm this?

to be honest m8 if you have been running it with no oil in the box i think its safe to say its gonna fuck it
Agree with craig their, they heat up quite quick and gaurantee the the teeth on the gears will chew up and probably lock the diff up too way everything expanding with heat.