strange boost flutter

Fire & skill

Vintage member
strange this one: just started today once i was overtaking a lorry - i hit peak boost and i noticed the boost guage needle kind of flickering between 9 & 10 psi (on peak remember) i could swear i heard an intermittent hissing noise like twice every second. it could just be an air leak i suppose but just checking its not something daft like my wastegate or something like that!! another thing could be my hks evc4 which i accidently hit the scramble boost button - i pressed it again to reset - any ideas? :roll:

Fire & skill

Vintage member
im thinking boost leak myself but im just sweating a bit!! the car is up for sale at the mo and have a potential buyer coming tomorrow - ive not been ragging the car but you know these kind ogf things happen around this time! i'll hav a look in the morning

Cheers :wink:

A

Anonymous

Fire & skill said:
couldnt see anything :? might have 2 pop it into the garage
a boost flutter between 9-10 psi is nothing to lose any sleep over :wink:

Fire & skill

Vintage member
its doing it all the time though :? if i increase the boost the flutter becomes more erratic. i may give the dump valve a check over later. bit pissed off really

G

gumbo

Fire & skill said:
its doing it all the time though :? if i increase the boost the flutter becomes more erratic. i may give the dump valve a check over later. bit annoyed off really
which dumpvalve have you got coz some of them have twin valves. The first valve releases under low boost and the larger second valve releases under higher boost.

ram5ay

Orite mate,
Sounds a bit like a boost leak to me too, with the fluttering caused by your boost controller trying to compensate.
Maybe could also be a prob with your EVC??

Fire & skill

Vintage member
still not sure - im about to remove the dump valve for a closer inspection. its an ARC dump valve - ive never had any prob with it before and it certainly didnt ever dump twice :shock: if i run on standard boost the car is superb, once the evc is on to 1 bar thats when the prob starts

Fire & skill

Vintage member
dump valve is ok. think it could be related to the evc. theres a silly in-line filter that im thinkin of removing. will check it out.could also remove the small pipe at the actuator to check turbo/afm. im starting to get lost :cry:

Fire & skill

Vintage member
after doing a search here it looks like im the only one who has had this problem :cry: always the way. just about to head up to the garage for them to look at it. cheers for advice but its drew a blank. 3 peeps supposed to be viewing the car today. will let yous know the outcome

Fire & skill

Vintage member
all fixed!! the wiring harness plug had a dirty connection at terminal number 1. all cleaned up - tested all the way home. superb!! its running fantastic!!! :lol: :lol:

Fire & skill

Vintage member
think i scared potential buyers away!! i told them it had a fault (and would be cured) but no c u n t showed all day :lol: :lol: oh well i get to keep the R for another week. i may have changed my mind by then :wink:

Dooie Pop Pop

Fire & skill said:
think i scared potential buyers away!! i told them it had a fault (and would be cured) but no c u n t showed all day :lol: :lol: oh well i get to keep the R for another week. i may have changed my mind by then :wink:
'no dear no-one came to view the car, looks like i may have to keep it' :wink:

Studlife

Fire & skill said:
all fixed!! the wiring harness plug had a dirty connection at terminal number 1. all cleaned up - tested all the way home. superb!! its running fantastic!!! :lol: :lol:

Which wire harness was the problem, as i'm having the exact same problem here in canada

J

jpward

Sounds to me like the EVC isnt set closely enough to the actual boost pressure so as someone said it is searching up and down for the right level and needs to be tweeked in order to allow it to control the boost within a window it can read.

This time of year with warm weather usually the stock boost level needs rising and the duty needs to be decressed to match!

Try that first ;-)