Stock exhaust housing + GT2871R.

Just a silly thought.
I've been fed up with my car and left it alone for 4 months due to boost leak problems. Now i've a bit of inspiration. I suspect could be the brand new turbo, the exhaust housing wastegate hole, the surfaceis not even ever so slightly. Hence allowing boost to leak.

Now i'm wondering can i just fit my old T28 stock rear exhaust housing and mate it with my brand new GT2871R?
Is it possible or a big big hassle as it's not compatible?
Why i want to do that is so that i can weld the wastegate port shut and run an external wastegate like a Tial 38mm....

What's your take on this mad idea of mine?
There must be a reason why people fancy externals over internals any day other than its a bitch to package it neatly.

Constructive thoughts please.
Best Regards

low612

1. If the turbo is basically new return the housing because the casting is flawed and causes wastegate flapper not to seal.

2. Remove exhaust housing like six bolts on turbo and whats required to reomve downpipe. Take a dremel and smoothout the imperfections to get a good seal on the flapper or take it to a machinist. You could weld the flapper shut , it will work but it would be better just to get a housing made for external setup as it will flow better. Hence less chance of boost creep.

3. Your stock t-28 exhaust housing will not fit.

Trip

BabyGodzillaGTi-R said:
Just a silly thought.
I've been fed up with my car and left it alone for 4 months due to boost leak problems. Now i've a bit of inspiration. I suspect could be the brand new turbo, the exhaust housing wastegate hole, the surfaceis not even ever so slightly. Hence allowing boost to leak.
The "exhaust housing wastegate hole" does not see boost. It only sees exhaust (hence the name).

Your Boost leak is not originating from there. How to do a boost leak test.

turbodaily

if the wastegate isnt sealing properly it will not hold boost.

external wastegates control the boost alot better, especially when running big boost levels.

Thanks mate.
So when i send the exhaust housing to the machinist what i need to ask him is to actually skim the surface of the flapper or the exhaust housing "hole"??
Side note,
Is there a GT28 exhaust housing for external wastegate?

Can't wait when it finally goes... 4 years and waiting is way too long.
When will there be a day when the engine can take the abuse of running turbos without wastegates.
3000rpm 1 bar, 6000rpm 3bar. hehe

Last edited:

MORF114

so you kinda have boost creep ?

Yes you can buy exhaust housings for gt28 without internal gate dont think it comes with a t2 flange though i think it only comes t3.
Could be wrong though.

No, my problem is that it doesn't boost more than 0.45 bar stock and 0.65 bar max with the AVCR boost controller at max duty settings.
So no T2 housing eh?
Really like one of u guys said. The GTi-R true to it's rallying heritage it stays offroad 90% of the time.
I want to burn the car.