STILL boost problems

Hello everyone, again!
In short the most boost I can achieve is 0.7 bar, THATS WITH THE ACTUATOR PIPE DISCONNECTED! I have done
1) Checked for boost leaks - no leaks
2) Done a fault code check, knock sensor faulty
3) Checked actuator is closed properly
4) Had turbo rebuilt and a 360 bearing put in
5) Put new exhaust turbine housing on (one with no cracks) and checked actuator still closes properly
6) Fit a leaking front mount
7) Buy another FMIC and checked again to find NO leaks again
8) Checked compressions, all 4 are 150PSi
9) Disconnected greddy profec B spec 2 boost controller to eliminate that

I'm sure theres more that I've forgot but help is good and I'll say if I've done that or not!
I still need to fit a knock sensor but waiting for its arrival, I cleared the fault which stayed off for a bit but still got no more boost!

I'm wondering what else could cause my problem, When I pressurise the intake system the air only leaks from the rocker top, out of the breather, it seems like you can hear something on the inlet manifold but that doesn't seem to leak air anywhere, I believe that's just from the air going past the valves and pistons, anyone else experienced that?

The last question is could the fuelling or timing limit the boost, I have never had that set up but don't know if that would stop it from boosting!??

Thanks Again Chris:thumbsup:

Trip

1) did you pressurise the system from the turbo up to the engine ?
2) How did you test if the actuator is closing properly ?
3) Did you check if the turbine housing has cracks ?

stumo

Take the pipe off the actuator, then drive it ONCE to see who much boost you're making, as soon as you're getting lots of boost (ie over 1 bar) take your foot off the loud pedal.:lol:

If you got more than .7bar then you've got a pipeing/boost controller problem and it's not the turbo. or actuator.

cobra10

i'm a newbie to r's but my mate said to me that running the boost controller off would result in standard boost, which is 0.7 bar and thats what i get all the time, unless i whap on the controller and then the thing goes wild, back to the query are u not just supposed to get 0.7 bar max w/o controller intervention?

Did you not read this bit :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: made me laugh! I have not tried a different actuator, it is a bit weak as it starts opening at 0.4/5 bar, but I checked and the turbo place checked that it was springing back completely closed with no movement in the penny or the actuator rod! There was no cracks in the new housing I fit either.

1) did you pressurise the system from the turbo up to the engine ?
2) How did you test if the actuator is closing properly ?
3) Did you check if the turbine housing has cracks ?
Yes, did it from the intake from the turbo, I made myself a nice adaptor! I checked the actuator with the turbo off it was sealed good, no movement once it was closed and the penny was tight. Yes the turbine housing was crack free!

What bov are you using and have you tryed running without one?
Standard recirc valve, I've been told these are prone for leaking but it doesn't sound like its leaking when its pressured up!
There does seem to be a little bit of oil in the recirc pipe but no oil on the intake pipe to the inlet manifold. :-o Don't quite understand that one myself????????????

i'm a newbie to r's but my mate said to me that running the boost controller off would result in standard boost, which is 0.7 bar and thats what i get all the time, unless i whap on the controller and then the thing goes wild, back to the query are u not just supposed to get 0.7 bar max w/o controller intervention?
Standard boost is 0.7 mate, when you turn on your boost controller it restricts the air flow to the actuator causing it not to open as far therefore not wasting as much exhaust gas and higher boost! Mine runs at 0.5 bar with the boost controller turned off! A standard turbo should be able to create about 1.8 bar!!:thumbsup:

MarkTurbo

I'd put money on it being the actuator, probably just the spring inside has gone weak which is why it wont hold any boost ;-) I've had the same problem a couple times now so i bought a forge one a while back.

woteva d1ckhead:roll: :lol::lol:

no, i didn't read it. i don't read all of most posts cos they're usually full of shite! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
You're not wrong there :doh: I'll let you off this time then :lol:

I'd put money on it being the actuator, probably just the spring inside has gone weak which is why it wont hold any boost ;-) I've had the same problem a couple times now so i bought a forge one a while back.

So does that mean that even with the actuator pipe disconnected then the wastegate will get forced open by the exhaust gases therefore pushing the spring back in the actuator??

Were did you buy the forge one from and how much was it?
I've put a post up for one and can't seem to find anything else wrong, i really hope it fixes it then!

MarkTurbo

I'd just get a standard one off bobby for now to make sure that is the problem ;-) I got my forge actuator from Rallynuts, they're about £100.