Speedo Keeps Cutting Out?

nickg123

Weird one......... when the car's cold - my speedo doesn't work at all, then after about 2 mins, the needle has a bit of a mental and goes up then down and up again - then after a few more seconds, it's ok and reads my speed perfectly all the way home/to work?

Any idea where the sensor is? Is it Electronic? Anyone else have this problem?

www.anythingcars.net - Make All Your Pulsars Dreams Come True [8D]

M

Mikey

I have a very similar problem, mine gets to 120-130 then cuts out and doesn't start again till i've stopped.
p.s. all this takes place on private land officer [:D][}:)]

Rally bred Tarmac Terrorist .

chrisniss91

quote: mine gets to 120-130 then cuts out and doesn't start again till i've stopped.

This happens to me as well and a few other R owners, so it's obvisouly quite a common little problem. Does the miles stop clocking up when the needle drops to 0[?]

M

Mikey

Yeah miles stop to ! Makes my mpg look really crap when im on a long run [:p]

Rally bred Tarmac Terrorist .

A

Anonymous

Mine reads ok but then goes up and dowm then stops it sometimes sticks at about 80 when only doing 30

A

Anonymous

i have the same problem, quite handy tho, when my girlfriend is nagging me to slow down. "But i'm only doing 30 love!!"[}:)] shot myself in the foot when she got me a spa digital speedo.

A

Anonymous

Nick, the speedo sender/sensor unit is tucked away under the starter motor, in a very small cavity, so its impossible to get at!

If you look through the aperture in the o/s/f wheel arch towards the oil filter you can see the sensor wires coming out of the sensor at roughly the same level as the oil filter housing..... but about another 18 inches into the engine bay.

I had to find mine as the sensor wires connector block had unplugged itself and was just hanging down, might to worth checking yours just in case.?

wustyweck

W

wizgti

Mines still playing up too :| Somebody must of solved this :?:

ashills

check the earths etc on back of clocks found out my speedo converter had a very bad earth on the back of th eclocks

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Well I've just seen in the manual that the speed sensor is on the transaxle, so I think I might top up my oil (as I have a leak) and see if it makes any difference. Failing that I'll be looking at a dodgy connection or sender unit I think.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'm pretty sure mine is the delimiter/convertor . It started working again this weekend and it let me go to the redline in 5th again. Weh heyyyyy. :wink:
Then it stopped again. :cry:

geetee

Disconnect the convertor from the back of the clocks.... making a note where it's connected 1st of course.

This will then put your speedo back to kmh and limited to 112mph (ish).

However - the speedo should start behaving itself.

If it does then you know the culprit is the convertor box - either it's foobarred or as previously mentioned the earth connection is critical.

Theses little buggers seem to have a habit of going wrong.

Anyone know any electronics gurus? It would be handy to have an adjustable convertor for those of us with 17" wheels!

Cheers
GeeTee

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If I pull the wiring out of my convertor, I'll have a break in the system, won't this stop the speedo working as it gets no signal?

If you keep the overall daimmetre of your wheels and tyre to within a few mm of standard, your convertor will still be reading as near as dammit correctly. That applies to any new size tyres on any speedo.

geetee

My convertor is (was) just patched into a couple of the screws on the back of the clocks themselves. There was one cable cut on the wiring from the clocks pod to the connector but I just used a bullet connector to reconnect it....

The speedo still doesn't work properly though - but this is more to do with the needle spindle being bent by someone (not guilty! who put white faces on the dials.

and on the 2nd point.... 17" wheels have about 10%/15% (ish) larger rolling diameter than standard so the speedo reads that much lower..... which is never good. I probably wouldn't care so much if the speedo actually worked I guess...

Cheers
GeeTee