spacer plate

P

pulsarboby

has anyone got a link or know where i can obtain a spacer plate/exnaust flange for between exhaust manifold and block so i can locate my 3071 properly this time.

J

jpward

pulsarboby said:
has anyone got a link or know where i can obtain a spacer plate/exnaust flange for between exhaust manifold and block so i can locate my 3071 properly this time.
Bobby threes bound to be laser profilers near you that’s who I would use just give them the design to work from and ones in Belfast can make me flanges up out of stainless or alloy or even slightly cheaper way would be to plasma cut and that leaves little makes like gas burning but not as bad for less money again with template an apprentice could do it!
:lol:

boucherie

bobby, if you manage to find somewhere local, why dont you look at getting a spacer made up for the inlet manifold as well, if you gave them either the top of the plenum of even the gasket then they should be able to knock a few up for a reasonable rate. To give yourself a bit more room at the back of the engine a 3/4inch spacer would probably be the best compromise.

J

jpward

boucherie said:
bobby, if you manage to find somewhere local, why dont you look at getting a spacer made up for the inlet manifold as well, if you gave them either the top of the plenum of even the gasket then they should be able to knock a few up for a reasonable rate. To give yourself a bit more room at the back of the engine a 3/4inch spacer would probably be the best compromise.
Do you know the optimum sizeing Boucherie I am going to shout down to the people I know over here and ask them how much they would be as they do bits for Shorts (bombardier) so quality is good.

Actually Rob how did you work yours out just based on extra volume or was there more guestamation in the process?

boucherie

jp, if you do a quick search theres a post saying how i did my calculations and the increase it gave, but that was purely for the plenum, when you include the whole intake manifold it should still increase the manifold by at least 10-15%

O

Odin

jpward said:
Actually Rob how did you work yours out just based on extra volume or was there more guesstimating in the process?

Their was no thought at all fella :oops: :shock: , I just spotted it up for sale in Japan ;-) , My reckoning was that the jap's don't do anything with out a reason, And wouldn't of gone to the trouble of making it up if it didn't work on some level or other :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

To be honest I was more interested in the 80mm modded plenum than the spacer.

Rob;-) .

J

jpward

Odin said:
Their was no thought at all fella :oops: :shock: , I just spotted it up for sale in Japan ;-) , My reckoning was that the jap's don't do anything with out a reason, And wouldn't of gone to the trouble of making it up if it didn't work on some level or other :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

To be honest I was more interested in the 80mm modded plenum than the spacer.

Rob;-) .
Nice one and you are always giving out to people who buy stuff of ebay :lol:

Right well all I could find was that the optimum runner length is 13~17ft

Now you might say you'd never fit one under the bonnet and that’s true but you use pulse flow to determine how many times you can divide the size by formulae HERE
So that gives the gist of what you should be looking for about 30" actual length ;-)

Also found that on a SR20DE a 25mm spacer will give +~10hp @5500rpm and -~9hp @ 8000rpm so backing the theory that more top end =shorter rams and longer for more midrange.

From that my setup would not really benefit from the expense of the spacer but it comes in nicely with longer duration cams which help move the power band higher up the revs used with the spacer I can see your midrange need not suffer the same losses Rob ;-)

For now I think I will stick with a Phenolic spacer as that will give me better results for me
$ :lol:

O

Odin

As well as the spacer I also have the thermal inlet gasket fitted which makes it even longer on the inlet side, Because it's about five times thicker than the standard gasket.

Oh and I didn't get it from eBay :roll: , I bought if from the Jap auctions site ;-) .

I think that the the thermal gasket and the fact I've removed all the water pipes going to the inlet manifold, I should have a nice cool inlet charge 8) , As for the spacer I'm just willing to see if it works ;-) , If not then nothing lost.

Rob

J

jpward

Odin said:
As well as the spacer I also have the thermal inlet gasket fitted which makes it even longer on the inlet side, Because it's about five times thicker than the standard gasket.

Oh and I didn't get it from eBay :roll: , I bought if from the Jap auctions site ;-) .

I think that the the thermal gasket and the fact I've removed all the water pipes going to the inlet manifold, I should have a nice cool inlet charge 8) , As for the spacer I'm just willing to see if it works ;-) , If not then nothing lost.

Rob
So you put the thermal one between the head and the TB's yes? not TB's to runners :oops:

(Cant remember must be getting old)

O

Odin

jpward said:
So you put the thermal one between the head and the TB's yes? not TB's to runners :oops:

(Cant remember must be getting old)

You muppet :shock: :doh: , Mind you I didn't fit it anyway ;-) , I had Agra doing all my donkey work :thumbsup: .

But I still wouldn't of made that mistake matey :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

J

jpward

Odin said:
You muppet :shock: :doh: , Mind you I didn't fit it anyway ;-) , I had Agra doing all my donkey work :thumbsup: .

But I still wouldn't of made that mistake matey :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob
Been a long day but i think it was the way the Big one goes before the TB's, when the thermal one after stopping the heat also getting into the quads got me mexid up :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jpward

Odin said:
It doesn't take a lot does it mate :doh: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob
At least i know why the spacer is fitted before buying one :lol: :lol: :lol:

P

pulsarboby

boucherie said:
tbh ian i havent got the time to booger around with the spacer at inlet, and dont honestly think its gonna make a great deal of difference for what im using the car for.
i just need to get this all together rather quickly now, as im rapidly running out of time with these trackdays i have booked. ive already paid and missed 3 this year:sad:

MORF114

I was going to get one made up again a while ago last time you posted about it with longer studs incase anyone wanted one mine has caused a bit of probs nothing which a cut and weld cant sort out how quickly do you need it ill try and find out if i can get one for you what size do you need?

I have a 26mm plate x2 gaskets and i literally have no room between my gearbox and turbo just enough to get silicone hose and clamp on and between my rad and turbo i have about 1/2 inch, i have to use a 2-2 1/2" elbow reducer as rad hits 2 1/2" silicone hose straight when using hybrid front mount pipe from turbo to intercooler.

P

pulsarboby

26mm:shock: i initially had 8 gaskets on there (bodge) which just gave it enough clearance!

i would have said 1/2'' to 5/8 would have been thick enough. and need one by next week ideally!

P

pulsarboby

you have more room than me, my intake pipe is almost touching the rad with 8 thickness gaskets on. if i put a 26mm spacer on then id have to knock a hole through the rad to make it fit:lol:
reckon you can do one for me by next week morf???

MORF114

Ill ask them to make me one tomorrow, mine took a week to do but i wasnt in any hurry for mine so ill see what they can do for me.

What are you using on the compresser housing silicone hose or steel pipe? just enough room for silicone hose but may need to be 28mm for something more solid.

Do you want the ports the same size as std manifold or larger ?