shorti

This is from www.theweathernetwork.com
Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada
Date of temp: January 29 2008

MAX TEMP : -28.7 °C
MIN TEMP : -43.3 °C
MEAN TEMP : -36 °C
PRECIP ACCUMULATION : 0.5 mm

That's without the wind. With a 5 - 20kph wind the temp gets down to around -55°C.
If I stuck my hand out the window, travelling 110kph, the windchill would be in excess of -70°C

The R is constantly plugged in if it's not running. Warms up in about 10 minutes of idling. If I let go of the clutch pedal quickly after pressing it in it takes half a second or so for it to become fully depressed.
At WOT in 2nd or 3rd at about 5000rpms the moisture/heat from the exhaust makes a trail behind the car for about 5-7 car lengths making a smoke screen kind of effect.
Oh I also have a piece of cardboard covering half of the rad so that the coolant can keep it's heat above 60kph.
:)

S

shorti

The little squeaks that are barely if ever noticed are quite more noticeable now.

Oh and thank god my R came with heated seats and heated mirrors.

rayman75

Mr GTiR said:
Have only heard about these options on an R but never seen these before. Just out of interest where are the switches located in your R?
im sure i have seen a picture of the buttons for the seats down by the handbrake, my seats have wire and a plug coming from them but it doesnt go anywhere.

Mr GTiR

rayman75 said:
im sure i have seen a picture of the buttons for the seats down by the handbrake, my seats have wire and a plug coming from them but it doesnt go anywhere.
Ahhh, that will be what the little rectangle blanking plate is for then. How about the heated mirrors or are they just on a relay when it's cold?

davey red.r

Mr GTiR said:
Have only heard about these options on an R but never seen these before. Just out of interest where are the switches located in your R?
mine has heated seats,the switches are on the centre console where the handbrake is,
they take about 15 mins to heat up tho, great when they do tho.
and the heated wing mirrors switch is next to driver side heater.

davey

Last edited:
S

shorti

johnsy said:
are your roads gritted/salt?
They sand the roads at any temp below freezing and they get salted below freezing but they stop after -25 or so. If it's too cold the salt is useless.
The roads here are glare ice. I've spun all tires in 4th gear.

antgtir said:
Never even heard of this as an option, very nice. What year is the R?

Ant.
1990, RNN14001928
Sunroof, heated seats and mirrors, and sun visors for the side mirrors. It's apparently got all of the options.

Mr GTiR said:
How about the heated mirrors or are they just on a relay when it's cold?
The button is right above the switch for the power mirrors.

PaulB said:
get some pics up !
This is my car this afternoon.

This is my car a few weeks ago. 4 hours of snow.

S

shorti

CanadianR said:
Dang, I thought I had the coldest one.

How do you have it plugged in?
Inline coolant heater that you can get from Canadian Tire.

Studlife

last night the temp at work was -37 without windchill, and -55 with windchill, i had to boost 5 cars at work, tonight was only -26 seems warth compared to the alternative.... i bet the salt is loving your jdm paint hehe