Snapped key

Tim!

Hi all

I hope this is the right section,

I managed to snap my only key to my R in the lock on the door

Is there a way I can get a copy made up of the 2 halfs if I can get the key out the lock?

I can get under the bonnet but no where elce will I have to smash the window to get in?

Any advice would be much aprichiated
Thanks

geoff pine

You will probably need to change the barrels !!the interned has many articles on how to open cars with out keys :lol:

watoga

Do you know anyone close by who has a GTiR? Oddly my GTiR key can open my mate's Pulsar (and vice versa), although it won't turn in the ignition barrel. Perhaps just a side effect of a warn door lock, but it might be worth giving it a go! :-D

Good luck,
Dave

Tim!

Cheers I might try that as long as I can get the other half the key out

I think iv still got the key to my old shell

Cheers for the advice

Mr B

easy enough to open the gtir with a wire coat hanger down between glass & door skin glass seal so don't go smashing windows.
It is possible to get broken key re-cut but not all key cutters may want to do it if not that experienced.
It is also possible to make a key from a blank with just the lock barrel & no key but not that cheap normally.
removing broken key can be tricky, you can make a tool out of a thin feeler gauge blade cut to about 3mm in width with a slight offset barb in the end to try & catch the teeth of the key & pull it out, a thin jigsaw scrolling blade may work with blade teeth catching on key or 2 sowing needles used in a tweezer like fashion :-S, how easy depends on how deep it broken off & how you improvise or how good a tool you make.

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

if half the keys stuck in barrel and you have the other half you should be able to fit that in the same barrel and it should still open the door with a little bit of jiggery pokey.
if not then as said above.....plastic wedge in top of door and coat hanger does wonders;-)
if you are gonna break a window then break a rear qualter as ive got shite loads of them in stock