smoking after gearchange/dumping boost.

J

Jon

Wj, it's not your oil seperator & it's not the seals in the turbo.
i posted up your exact symptoms a while back & above is the exact replies i got...
Call Ian at Hiteq & tell him what the exact symptoms you are having & mention me & what prob mine had(just got mine back from him last friday)
lots of oil in Intercooler, puffing smoke on gearchange (that's the oil being sucked back up past your pistons as they have cracked mate. Is your oil temp now running higher than it has done so before?
very oily dumpvalve! :cry: all my symptoms exactly
spent 2 days stripping turbo off the car & it turned out to be fine!
sorry 2b the bearer of bad news & i hope i am wrong dude...but it all sounds exactly the same as mine
Jon

A

Anonymous

Jon, did your car run bad or something ??? Cause mine still runs GREAT !
and mine does smoke alot during normal drive, i think... Or maybe its the cold weather ?

It isn't possible for me to drop it @ hiteq, I'm from holland. AND on a budget... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

would normal drive with a cracked piston damage the engine ?

A

Anonymous

oh, and my oiltemp isn't higher than normal.
How can I check for myself that a piston (or more?) is cracked ?

Regards, William

J

Jon

Wj, yes mate, mine ran fine during the 3 months of smoking & oil coming out of the d/v etc etc
it didnt feel any different really, still drove it to the max & it felt lovely.
the best & easiest way to check for piston damage/oil guides & piston ring damage would be a leak down test (compression test)
It will damage the engine in time, my bores were only slightly scored in 3 months of quite hard driving.
sorry, didnt mean drop the car off at Hiteq :oops:
just meant give him a call, he'll explain all mate
regards
Jon

A

Anonymous

It could also be your valve stem seals, depending on how many miles/ks the motor has done. It's easy enough to check the turbo. Pull off the intake pipe (two nuts) and you will be able to touch the exhaust turbine. move it up and down, it should only move a tiny little bit, and it shouldn't move back and forth (along the axis of the shaft). If it's not the turbo in all likelyhood it'll be your valve stem seals. If it is ur lucky because they're quite cheap and you can replace them yourself if you have a valve compressor.
Jon: yours sounds like it was the valve stem seals too?

A

Anonymous

WJ said:
oh, and my oiltemp isn't higher than normal.
How can I check for myself that a piston (or more?) is cracked ?

Regards, William
Buy a compression gauge (has a connector at the end that's like a spark plug), run the motor until it is warm. Then remove one spark plug at a time, install the gauge and check that compression is around:

1,128kpa / 11,28bar / 11.5kg/m2 /164PSI

or minimum:

932kpa / 9.23bar / 9.5kg/m2 / 135 PSI

This is of course with ALL spark plugs disconnected so the engine doesn't run, just turns over a few times with the starter until the gauge doesn't go any higher.

if it is low on any one cylinder (or more!) then you have your problem, it could be bad rings, bad pistons or even a blown headgasket, although that gives you white smoke and oil in the radiator.

J

Jon

babyz, nah mate, mine was detted pistons, no:1 & no:4,
valve stem seals were fine,
ended up having a full engine rebuild at Hiteq because of it :cry:

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, best answers I've had so far ! I will be getting myself a comression tester, so I can test compression, valve stem seals will have to be checked by a garage, and also turbo I can check myself. Thanks again !

ps, motor has done a fair lot of miles, bout 90K i reckon ?

A

Anonymous

If it has done 90,000miles then it could def. be the valve stem seals, they tend to die around 150,000km I've found. Of course it could also be something worse, but hopefully not!

A

Anonymous

JON said:
babyz, nah mate, mine was detted pistons, no:1 & no:4,
valve stem seals were fine,
ended up having a full engine rebuild at Hiteq because of it :cry:
fark, that's pretty bad, and it ran like normal? Interesting!

S

samellio

My old car has well over 100k miles and still runs absoulutely fine!!
The engines in r's are good for mega miles i think :wink:

C

charlie

ummm, you were running 1.5 bar? what were you controlling fueling with :?

A

Anonymous

controlling fuel ?

as in, with nothing ?

I know I know, I'm an idiot, but I just couldn't get to fixing my not-working turbo actuator.

I bought a new actuator now, good timing huh :(

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Was that a number 4 piston Ginga? Just curious cos I looked at an engine up the road and no4 hand done it's ringland too. I was surprised at how bad it was. Bore seemed ok tho.

GINGA

Thats was No1 piston but another one 2 I think had also cracked but not as bad, car still ran fine but had a slight misfire at low rpm and puffed blue smoke on changing gear after thrashing it :twisted: and the bore was only slightly scratched.