smoking after gearchange/dumping boost.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys my R smokes alot after I booot it, dump the boost and just cruise on... This is normal cause of the rich mixture right ?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If the smoke is black it's from a rich mixture.
If the smoke is bluey/grey it's probably your turbo on the way out.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Turbo cars are quite often tuned to run rich under power, to aid in cylinder cooling, but not normally to the extent you can see clouds of black smoke. Normally that's the signs of something wrong.

Keira

Check for an air leak or leaky dump valve, mine came off a little bit one day and the car smoked like a F*cker, black smoke, guess its where the maf gets confused and dumps more fuel in ????

It ran like a bag of shIte aswell though so you may not have the same problem.

J

J-GTi-R

No that would definitely be different as I've had that too and my car hardly ran at all. I was on a dual carriageway so had to limp the car quite a bit of distance defore I could pull over and fix it. In the process the plugs fouled very badly and it took at couple of days for the car to run properly again.

A

Anonymous

turbo on the way out :( baaad...
but it still boosts to 1.5 bar, and its the standard tubby !
car doesn't run bad at all...
and it's a blueish smoke I think...

O

Olly

J-GTi-R said:
No that would definitely be different as I've had that too and my car hardly ran at all. I was on a dual carriageway so had to limp the car quite a bit of distance defore I could pull over and fix it. In the process the plugs fouled very badly and it took at couple of days for the car to run properly again.
yeah me too thought something bad had happened major black smoke like diesel no power, had blown the boost pipe off my front mount @140mph, had seat belt marks for dayz accross my chest :oops:

A

Anonymous

but shouldn't it be boosting less then >?
cause its the standard jobby doing bout 1,5 bar boost...
doesn't sound knackered and stuff...
oh, and would I be able to run the car without a turbo ?
cause don't have the cash to fix her up...

J

Jon

dude, that's exactly the same symptoms as what mine was doing, puffing out bluey smoke on gearchange, oily d/v, it's at Hiteq now after diagnostics found 2 cracked pistons & rings.
hope yours doesnt turn out to be the same..
rather costly. :shock:
Jon

zia

the seal on the turbine side must be worn because due excessive pressure the oil is being drawn out on the oil gallery. try reducing the boost to 1 bar .1.5 on the standard tubby is not wise :shock:

zia

N

N1SMO

In my experience the car gets quicker and feels great just before the turbo lets go so beware.

A

Anonymous

I will be fitting a norris design actuator in the next month, and I've only been boosting it that hard cause the standard actuator was broken :) I know running unlimited boost wasn't a good idea, but wow, that power :)
I'll reduce the boost to 0.5 for normal drive, and to 1.0 for sporty driving.
I also have a fair amount of oil going thru my tmic, and blowing out my dump valve, is this also coming from my turbo ? Or does this have to doe with the oil separator ? Oh, and 1 other question, what is the oil separators job ? to separate oil from ... ???

gtirpulsar

Sounds to me like you've pushed the standard turbo beyond its limits (1.2 bar completely standard, 1.4 with 360 thrust bearing - these are absolute maximums you should think of if you want a standard T28 to survive any length of time). And now as a result the oil seals in the turbo have been damaged hence why you are getting oil in your intercooler and out of your blow off valve. Its normal to have some oil blown in to your intercooler but not through your blow off valve.
Thats not to say it couldn't be a blocked air/oil separator but its highly unlikely in the circumstances

A

Anonymous

and a revision of these seals would cost about ?

and as for the oil in the intercooler, even when coming from the turbo, the separator should take care of this, right ? So should I upgrade my separator or just clean it or...

Keira

Standard seperator is not very good, a clean would probably help but either uprated or catch tank would be better..

As said by gtirpulsar, that much oil probably isn't down to the seperator.

A

Anonymous

Ok, gonna get a better separator and sort my turbo out :)

Are these seals replacable ? If so, does anyone know how much this would cost ?