smoke after boosting?

white 'R'

my new r smoking after i put my foot down, the more boost the more smoke i get! the dumpvalve is pointed straight at the air filter so could this be anything to do with it as the filter does look quite oily. The engine has been fully rebuilt with forge internals about 2 years ago by ND . Other possibility is turbo? Any opinions?

Sam_M

Sounds like its probably Turbo seals on the way out. Mine does it and I sometimes get big puffs of smoke on downchanges.

Wouldnt you get blue smoke on startup if its Valve Stem oil seals?

gunmetalgtir

Sam_M said:
Sounds like its probably Turbo seals on the way out. Mine does it and I sometimes get big puffs of smoke on downchanges.

Wouldnt you get blue smoke on startup if its Valve Stem oil seals?
He didn't say whether he gets any smoke on start up or not or the colour of it.

white 'R'

no smoke on start up bin told maybe its over fueling as it got apexi ecu with commander and needs to be set up? also have a back fire with the smoke so could sound possible? also got fuel regulator uprated fuel pump etc.

white 'R'

yes , the more boost i give it or harder i accelerate the more smoke! does not smoke driving normally/sensibly!

neil240z

its turbo or pistons, disconnect the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler, then rev the engine to high rpm, to see if there is oil being blown through (there would also be lots of oil in the pipe work and intercooler!) if there is oil in the pipes then your lucky and its just a turbo, if there isnt then you have one or two cracked piston lands and its engine rebuild time, i had exactly the same problem as you and it was the pistons.

hope this helps

regards

Neil

neil240z

didnt notice what you put about forged rebuild...... looks like turbo but if its not being fuelled correctly and running high boost then it could still be pistons.
:)

bakewell

i have just had clutch on car done. when i got car back really chucked out smoke thought it was new moogoose exhaust then stopped but now started to do same thing as yours.only seems to be on down changes thou ill take off turbo pipe and have a look. also like you said mine is also back firing think it could be over fueling

white 'R'

only been told it was overfueling? not convinced myself! but when i test drove it it didnt smoke? but they did change the water pipe at the back between test drivin and picking up. got told alot of bits had to come of the engine so also could be something to do with that. gonna get it rolling roaded at norris designs (cause they did the engine rebuild) to be set up to eliminate fueling and hopefully they will shed some light on it;-)

Dooie Pop Pop

white 'R' said:
only been told it was overfueling? not convinced myself! but when i test drove it it didnt smoke? but they did change the water pipe at the back between test drivin and picking up. got told alot of bits had to come of the engine so also could be something to do with that. gonna get it rolling roaded at norris designs (cause they did the engine rebuild) to be set up to eliminate fueling and hopefully they will shed some light on it;-)
what area are you in? it might (will) be cheaper to get another member to look at it;-)

white 'R'

i live in herefordshire (west midlands) would be good if possible but i think i still need to get it set up on rolling road. i dont how much u can set ignition and fueling on fc commander? there is oil in intercooler pipes so looking more and more like turbo! but better being that than engine i suppose!

B

Beachsleeper

I had a look at the R a week before you bought it. The airfilter was soked in oil plus oil was drippin out of the DV and splated over the under side of the bonnet, I did say to the guy that seems alot of oil, I think he said that he was goin to fit a catch can. I cant remember seein it blowin smoke out or burnin oil, I did go back for a second veiwin, But you had bought it so i didnt bother lookin. I hope it works out for you bud.

As im here, What should a R tickover at?

white 'R'

my old r is their now for sale if u still looking for one . my old r was a sweet standard motor and it idled about 850-900 rpm

white 'R'

white, u can see it on their website. standard, rota slipstreams, few marks around the front of the wings etc. ran a 13.9 with at shakespeare raceway! it would just cost to much for me to get at my new r's state of tune! but i think ive paid the price now:doh: ! never mind:roll: