shit brakes!!

stevie leese

I'm on my 4th gtir and have found that everyone i have owned, the brakes have been crap! By this i mean they kinda work but you can stamp on them which would put you through the windscreen of any other car but on my gtir they "just" about stop you!! you'd be buggered if you ever needed to do any sort of emergency stop cuz you just couldnt do it. I have found the same problem with all the gtir's ive had but the one i have now is the worst.

After stripping the brakes down and fully servicing the calipers/slides/pads/discs etc, they are no better, in fact exactly the same. I have just brought some 4 pot calipers with some huge 320mm discs but apart from struggling to find some 17" alloys for them to fit under, i dont want to fit them to find the braking problem is still there.

If any of you can shed any light i would appreciate it as i am at my whits end with this now!! ive got a 400bhp gtir and am in desperate need of resolving this as it needs decent brakes to stop it!! Any one who can let me know of any alloys, brands etc that will fit the calipers and discs in them i would also appreciate it as i cant seem to find anything to fit the calipers in as all the ones i have tried catch the calipers near where the spokes meet the alloy wheel wall.

I have a set of 17" lenso's which are way too deep dish for big brakes so a px off anyone with some decent suitable alloys may be an option! everyone i have previously spoken to about this has said as they are standard gtir brakes they are renouned to being shit but surely they cant have come out the factory like this cuz they are that bad they wouldnt even go through a bog standard mot standard brake test! my mrs's 65 bhp vw polo has brakes 10 times as good as the gtir and surely that cant be right lol!!

Hopefully you can help me out a bit as i know most things about these cars now after working on um for 3 years but this has got me stumped......
cheers guys, Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Smo

I think I understood that.

I'm running 4-pot Wilwoods with IIRC 310mm discs under 16" League LR-01R alloys with EBC Yellow pads and they're fantastic. Standard R brakes would struggle to stop a bicycle. Are you sure the master cylinder is alright and there aren't any leaky seals or air in the system at all?

stevie leese

i changed all the brake fluid complete. i had the servo pipe off to see if it was the servo and that just made it loads worse(shocking that they can get any worse lol!).
i had the calipers off and on the bench in the workshop and they are as free as a bird so not them. theres's defo no leaks or air in the system at all and all four corners have been serviced fully by myself so i know they were done right. they are still shit, are they really that shit??

i cant get my head round the fact that they would make a car thats 220bhp standard with brakes worse than an reliant robin lol! were your brakes this shit before the 4 pots went on? if so, once they were on did they work as they should?

i just dont want to waste my time fitting them and getting new alloys if they are gonna be just as bad as ive spend half my life working on these cars already lol!! :roll:
cheers mate

Last edited by a moderator:

Animaldaz

It maybe the fact you have nearly double the power of a standard car that it seems worse on this R, but what you hear is right they are pants, barely adequate for a boggo car. Infact i think there is little difference between the brakes on an R and the brakes on a gti!
Do you know what pads you have? poor quality pads will make a bad situation worse.
What 4 pots do you now have? Is it a Gti-R specific kit? Most fit in 16"rims so yours must be huge.

GTIR-LOZ

i have 17 inch oz superleggeras and hispec monster 6 325mm brakes and they fit fine they are both for sale as well lol

stevie leese

have a look a the picture below on the size of my brakes lol

maybe i will just resign myself to the fact that standard brakes are wank lol and just get my arse into gear to source some alloys and get um fitted!! lol !

Last edited:

paz

You'll be best off with some motorspprt type wheels, oz super/ultra leggeras, rotas etc

stumo

I'm on my 4th gtir and have found that everyone i have owned, the brakes have been crap! By this i mean they kinda work but you can stamp on them which would put you through the windscreen of any other car but on my gtir they "just" about stop you!! you'd be buggered if you ever needed to do any sort of emergency stop cuz you just couldnt do it. I have found the same problem with all the gtir's ive had but the one i have now is the worst. After stripping the brakes down and fully servicing the calipers/slides/pads/discs etc, they are no better, in fact exactly the same. I have just brought some 4 pot calipers with some huge 320mm discs but apart from struggling to find some 17" alloys for them to fit under, i dont want to fit them to find the braking problem is still there. If any of you can shed any light i would appreciate it as i am at my whits end with this now!! ive got a 400bhp gtir and am in desperate need of resolving this as it needs decent brakes to stop it!! Any one who can let me know of any alloys, brands etc that will fit the calipers and discs in them i would also appreciate it as i cant seem to find anything to fit the calipers in as all the ones i have tried catch the calipers near where the spokes meet the alloy wheel wall. I have a set of 17" lenso's which are way too deep dish for big brakes so a px off anyone with some decent suitable alloys may be an option! everyone i have previously spoken to about this has said as they are standard gtir brakes they are renouned to being shit but surely they cant have come out the factory like this cuz they are that bad they wouldnt even go through a bog standard mot standard brake test! my mrs's 65 bhp vw polo has brakes 10 times as good as the gtir and surely that cant be right lol!! Hopefully you can help me out a bit as i know most things about these cars now after working on um for 3 years but this has got me stumped......
cheers guys, Steve
Steve, it would be easier to read your post if you didn't put it all into one big lump of words.

Break up your sentances and you'll get more replies because it's easier to read... people will give up reading it if it's awkward to read.

Back to the question.

The standard brakes are pants.

If the rest of the system is ok..ie the servo (which you've checked), brake pipes (the rubber ones can degrade and block up) and the proportioning valve is working then fitting your big brakes should work well.

vss irvine

I'm on my 4th gtir and have found that everyone i have owned, the brakes have been crap! By this i mean they kinda work but you can stamp on them which would put you through the windscreen of any other car but on my gtir they "just" about stop you!! you'd be buggered if you ever needed to do any sort of emergency stop cuz you just couldnt do it. I have found the same problem with all the gtir's ive had but the one i have now is the worst. After stripping the brakes down and fully servicing the calipers/slides/pads/discs etc, they are no better, in fact exactly the same. I have just brought some 4 pot calipers with some huge 320mm discs but apart from struggling to find some 17" alloys for them to fit under, i dont want to fit them to find the braking problem is still there. If any of you can shed any light i would appreciate it as i am at my whits end with this now!! ive got a 400bhp gtir and am in desperate need of resolving this as it needs decent brakes to stop it!! Any one who can let me know of any alloys, brands etc that will fit the calipers and discs in them i would also appreciate it as i cant seem to find anything to fit the calipers in as all the ones i have tried catch the calipers near where the spokes meet the alloy wheel wall. I have a set of 17" lenso's which are way too deep dish for big brakes so a px off anyone with some decent suitable alloys may be an option! everyone i have previously spoken to about this has said as they are standard gtir brakes they are renouned to being shit but surely they cant have come out the factory like this cuz they are that bad they wouldnt even go through a bog standard mot standard brake test! my mrs's 65 bhp vw polo has brakes 10 times as good as the gtir and surely that cant be right lol!! Hopefully you can help me out a bit as i know most things about these cars now after working on um for 3 years but this has got me stumped......
cheers guys, Steve

my eyes hurt!

whytie

Standard brakes are very poor indeed, you have to remember they are 20 years old so can't expect them to stop you like new cars of today. Good pads and discs do make a difference, but upgrading to 4 pot / 6 pot is the way to go. If I had done this on my first R it might have not met it's end into the side of a bus lol.

stevie leese

cheers for the grammar lesson, ill give my mrs a beating for talking shit but thats what women do ha,ha!! i will get my arse into gear as everyone seems to be saying the same about just getting the 4 pots on lol! i think oz racing alloys are the way forward!! :-D
I might drug the mrs and fuck off down the workshop now, youve all spurred me on to get my shit together lol
steve:lol:

stevie leese

just read your post about the bus lol, sorry mate!! mine had a similar death, by hitting a verge at 120mph and rolling 8 times lol.....
ooooopppppss!!

stevie leese

if everyone wants to forward their address ill send some free eye ointment for the shit 12 page essay with no paragraphs i wrote. or alternatively a picture of my mrs with a black eye, they choice is yours lol

stevie leese

yeah i was lucky as neither me nor my bro had seatbelts on, both walked off fine!! that was definately 8 of my 9 lives used ha,ha