Serious problem - car struggles to move?

retepetsir

My new life of Pulsar ownership is not going well at all :doh:

Sorted the radiator problem, engine is running again and seems to sit with good oil pressure, water temp, etc.

However, something mechanical is now definately not right. I took the car out for a run around the block to warm it up and bit and something started rubbing/biting. As if the brakes were binding? Not 100% sure it is that though. I ran out of time last weekend to check anything out.

I've just been out to take the car for a run and see if I could possibly free up the problem, using the brakes a few times, etc but its now got even worse.

There was a fairly loud mechanical scrape/bang coming back to the house so I stopped the car and had a look. I could see no signs of brake disc problems, etc.

It was so bad that outside the garage the car wouldn't even move. I could move it backwards but then it was pretty much stuck going forwards. Eventually I just upped the revs and slowly got it moving forward, but there is definately lots of resistance coming from somewhere.

Any ideas?! I'm not happy :cry:

jjs

hi does the car push forward or back when the car is in neutral,engine not running , if it is still hard to push , may be the brakes , if moves easily may be a gearbox problem

Smo

A similar thing happened to me in my very first R - turned out to be a blown driveshaft. It could possibly be the same thing = it won't hurt to give them all a good tug/rattle and see if there is any excessive play.

retepetsir

Just a bit Ed. Unbelievable. I'm tempted to just sell it for a big loss and be done. Blown driveshaft would be ridiculous, I've hardly used the thing! Not sure if I'm capable of sorting out a gearbox or driveshaft problem. Ed, parts would be good but I'd also want to get it up to you somehow for the work to be done so may try and find a tow company to do so.

This is probably one of the worst purchases I've made in my life, argh!

shroom

Calm down dear
if it is at worst some sort of gearbox problem there cheap as chips atm so dont complain and say its the worst puchase you ever made no one ever says on here there totaly reliable so you had to expect something to go?, I would trade you my problems for your's any day so shhh you will be fine

Fusion Ed

Pete, relax dude! Between everyone here there is nothing that has not been seen before. Jack the car up from each corner and see if the wheels are locked solid or anything like that. The rear will be a little bit stiff anyway due to the rear LSD, simple process of elimination !

P

pulsarboby

youve just had a bit of bad luck fella.
as said, stick the car on axle stands and spin the wheels or even run it up on axle stands (with 4 wheels off the deck) youll soon see what the prob is.
my guess is the transferbox or diff in the gearbox.
if transferbox then its no big deal as we flog them for £40 and youll have one fitted in a day no problem.

you need to be made of sturner stuff if you own an R gotta get stuck in there and get down n dirty:lol:

Fusion Ed

lol so true. Thats why gtir owners have the ard b@stard rep as they are used to getting kicked where it hurts by these damn cars.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I've always found it quite satisfying when you do manage to fix the problem and get it back on the road... makes me feel like a big man. :thumbsup:

retepetsir

Cheers peeps, that's cheered me up. The frustrating thing is that I've only driven it for 50 miles from buying it 4 weeks ago and that was driving it back home. Not had a good last couple of weeks so it definately didn't help. I'll get it up on axle stands at the weekend to see what's going on. I'm just amazed something like that could happen when it's not even being driven. Oh well!

Need to work out how to sort it now :)

Sam_M

Dont get too disheartened pete, I know how you feel, when I purchased my pulsar my girlfriend blew up the gearbox within 7miles of owning the car!!! I felt sick as it was the worst fear come true, then I got a recon box which ended up being knackered aswell for some reason and I hadnt even given the car beans, so the chocolate box syndrome seem to be coming true, but since then the box I have now has been absolutely perfect. Thats the only realy major problem thats ever happened to it, apart from I blew up the standard turbo last year although that was my own fault for pushing it too hard, but generally the car has been fantastic, and very reliable. Just general wear and tear over the years really, and right now its running beautifully. Ive had it 4 years and have no intention of selling up. I just want to get the bodywork mint again and it will be perfect.

They can cause grief and frustration, but when they are running well, smiles all round. I try to do as much as I can myself on the car so I get to understand its ways, but I have a great mechanic fairly local that knows Pulsars inside out for the real major stuff. Great car and I rekon if I was to get another car in the furture I would keep my pulsar, strip it out, roll cage it up, and turn it into a track car. Its a fantastic machine. Everytime I go on boost the smiles never fade and im not even running massive power.

Stick with it Pete, it will be worth it in the end.

retepetsir

Once I've checked it out at the weekend I'll decide what to do. Due to space requirements I'm unlikely to be able to repair the box at home so I'll somehow need to get it to a good local garage or Ed to sort it. Fingers crossed!

warringtonjack

Once I've checked it out at the weekend I'll decide what to do. Due to space requirements I'm unlikely to be able to repair the box at home so I'll somehow need to get it to a good local garage or Ed to sort it. Fingers crossed!
To be fair mate, if it is the gearbox, or transfer box, just replace them with some second hand jobbies rather than repair. Cheap enough, and (relatively) easy to replace. :thumbsup:

retepetsir

I can't believe its been a month! Long time without an update but I've been unbelievably busy with work. The bonus is that I now have an extra bonus coming my way at the end of June :).

Ed, I plan to book a low loader to transport the Pulsar as its currently unmoveable. I'll have a chat with you asap but I'd like to book it into Fusion for the problem to be resolved and the car to be setup as you see fit. It needs some work doing!

Cheers