Sequential Gearbox

MINESGTIR

im well up for investing in a new gearbox...
would it be possible for me to find a gearbox that you operate by clicking the gear stick back for down a gear and forward for up a gear ?

are they called sequential ? as i thought sequential was where the paddles are either side of the steering wheel ? or are these the same boxes, just different levers ?

is this possible for a GTI-R owner to get one ?

yes expensive.. but i wana know how much.....

could you not fit a sequential changer to a standard box given the right amount of money to emulate a sequential change... anythings possible right ?

what about a sequential changer linked to a hydralic actuator to do the clutch at the same time ? so you would only need the clutch to get rolling then you dont need the clutch to change gear ? i dont mind hacking the car to pieces to get it to fit... my mechanic says its possible ......

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Xtrac will do you one... For the right money! I'm sure Quaife or PPG would aswell.. Again for the right money!

Rishi

D

deslynam

A couple of years ago, my mechanics fitted one to a 306 GTI6 which was used for rallying, that was £16k for the gearbox alone! Deep pockets, eh?!

Lionel

it would be worth doing but like rishis has said if you have the cash you can pritty much do what you like.

kirko

deslynam said:
A couple of years ago, my mechanics fitted one to a 306 GTI6 which was used for rallying, that was £16k for the gearbox alone! Deep pockets, eh?!

i wish there was one available for a GTIR at that price i would buy two!

D

deslynam

kirko said:
i wish there was one available for a GTIR at that price i would buy two!
Only worth it for competitive use IMO, waste of money otherwise.

MINESGTIR

well my engineer says he can use a sequential changer on the standard box and also link it to a hydralic actuator to control the clutch at the same time....

itll take him maybe 50 hours to work it out he thinks then he can start it.... ill be looking at £10 per hour as hes a family friend( a very skilled one too , with 15 years experience)

so im cool with that....but anything is possible..... no way am i paying £16,000 for one when i "Could" possibly do it for about £1000-£2000..
its been done on other cars.. no reason why we cant do it on ours...

Fusion Ed

Its not the same however. Sequential boxes are built to be so from the start, changing gears by other methods is all very well but don't expect the gearbox to like it!

youngsyp

Micra Ed said:
Its not the same however. Sequential boxes are built to be so from the start, changing gears by other methods is all very well but don't expect the gearbox to like it!
For road going cars, they maybe now but, originally, they probably weren't.
For example, the Aston Martin Vanquish, used a manual box with gubbins added to make it semi automatic/sequential, so did the Ferrari 355 and 360 I think.

Now they use purpose built automatic transmissions so, the gear changes are smoother and quicker plus, they can handle more torque. The best example, being the VAG DSG box I think ?!

A sequential/semi automatic mechanism on a manual gearbox, could actually be kinder to the gearbox as, you wouldn't miss shifts and, if done properly, the revs will match on the downshift, to make the whole change smoother, thus putting less strain on the gears and shafts.
Plus, you wouldn't need 'Popeye leg' to change gear ! :)

MINESGTIR

like you say youngsyp it will be kind to the box... im going to see if there is a universal ikean sequen changer that i can adapt to fit my GTIR.. they will be a way to make it fit im sure... and think how ****ing cool it would be for the GTIR ... it would be so worth doing.. plus i donth think anyones done it yet ?

anyone got a 16K sequential box in their gtir ?

D

deslynam

I'm not saying that it'd cost £16k to do, but that was the price from Peugeot Sport for their Group A WRC one, brand new.

MINESGTIR

well im using the standard box with a sequential changer so im guessing £2000 max ... its fine.. im gonna get my grove on and get it going !!

Fusion Ed

Oh I can believe its been done. Just as I see it the gtir box is not perhaps the best base for it. Regardless it would be a cool mod, I just don't know if it would make anything that much faster.

MINESGTIR

they say it makes gear changes upto 4 times faster... i can imagine it would be amazing as id never crunch a gear again.. it would be impossible .. im sure people like fast guy and lou rob may benefit from these ?

MINESGTIR

right, my mechanic/ engineer says conveting a rod change to a cable change is do-able, then convert an EVO sequential shift to fit... its all possible !

Fusion Ed

I have data logged people doing gear changes in 0.2-0.4 of a second. from power off to back on again. I don't know what the limit of the pulsar box is however to get a reliable change on it. would be interesting to find out !