SE Nissan air box vs normal induction kit (blitz LM/HKS SP)

A

Anonymous

I'm almost convinced .

But I gues when Simon Norris built a 770bhp Evo costing over £70k he cant have known about that little webpage eh ? :)

And how many times have you run a car on rollers and how many times has it produced exactely the same power, the fact the person doing that test takes the differences in power so seriously suggests how little he knows about what hes doing. which also makes you wonder how did he test the performance figures ?
And I dont think throwing sand on your air filter with it attached to a hoover is particularly a good way of testing filtration, whats to stop more sand hitting it in 1 test than in the next ? and do you know how much static electricity is casued by a hoover, enough to attract alot of dust to any given object, whats to say in each test different levels of static were apparent ?

And correct me if I'm wrong but isnt it also a foam filter fitted to the 200mph skyline sitting up at hiteq ? I gues they havnt seen that web page either .

S

Sirnixalot

LOL....there are alot less variables using a vacuum than there are dyno testing the different filters.

different people use different things in their cars. Im not saying they are wrong nor am i trying to convince them that they should change....as you are so adamant in having substandard filtration.

The author of this thread asked for opinions. I gave mine you gave yours. I have physical proof you have the opinions of tuners.

Ask anyone on this board which filter works best for the R....you know what they will say? Apexi.

I dont like cotton filters because i hate to clean them. Which is why i use a Blitz SUS stainless mesh one. Mine may not filter dust as good as the apexi but the performance which the filter delivers will last alot longer between cleaning periods. Not to mention they dont chunk up when exposed to heat for long periods.

Keep heat away from the foam filters and you will be ok. Keep in mind maintenance on them will be higher as well as you cant really clean them...you have to throw them away and buy new foam elements. And seeing as how the majority of UK prices seem to penetrate through the wallet and into the comsumers rear end i would think some one would rather spend 150 quid up front rather than the same 150 then another 20 every 3-4 oil changes.

Longevity below average
Maintenance costs above average
Filtration below average
Power delivery below average

You want to know why they use those filters on those cars....space constraints, the other filters are alot longer from nose to coupler.

A

Anonymous

Sirnixalot said:
different people use different things in their cars. Im not saying they are wrong nor am i trying to convince them that they should change
Not how it looks from my end..

Sirnixalot said:
FOAM FILTERS SUCK DONKEY BALLS
Sirnixalot said:
Ask anyone on this board which filter works best for the R....you know what they will say? Apexi.
I gues that webpage has been up a few times then, shame that wasnt around when this was egroups because I went through the same subject when every one said blitz were the best for the R then :)
I wonder what will be the shepherds choice next... :lol:

I'l ignore the bit you editted out of your message m8, sounded more like a personal experience than a stereotype ;)

A

Anonymous

I'm gonna stick a Dyson hoover one in my airbox :lol:
Seriously though - which is the best for the R?

Hannie

its up to individuals choice, however the majority of R owners recommend the apexi. end of story!

i have the hks and i will admit it isn't the greatest, i'm hoping to change it soon.

lets stop the argumentative side on here, everyone is entitled to their opinion without someone jumping down their throut. think what u like, if one type of filter works for you go for it.

mattygti-r

but im still on teh standard induction kit, strange cos ive got lots of mods going on teh car in 2 weeks...

apexi avcr
apexi safc2
apexi turbo timer
greddy strut brace
apexi rev speed mtr

so hope to run 1bar

anways im also puttin on the apexi filter....

all im saying is..... I WILL STOP PLUGGING MY SALES ALL THE TIME IN THE INAPPROPRIATE PLACE :wink:

edited by Edd :wink:

S

Sirnixalot

Moon said:
I'l ignore the bit you editted out of your message m8, sounded more like a personal experience than a stereotype ;)
that was uncalled of me i appologize

and the fact that i said foam filters suck donkey balls is my opinion and i do have some facts to back it up.

And usually when ever any air filter threads pop up people usually respond with the apexi indution kit...thats why i said that. If its different off the forum i cant comment 8)

I still stand by my point. Apexi cotton gauze filters rock. HKS & Blitz metal filters roll. Foams....gone country :oops:

Nad

Blitz SUS is where its at. In the end of the day little bit of dust is gonna get burnt to crap in the engine. Yeah they let more through but in the end of the day its minute particles. Look at those people who use a bit of mesh. As long as nothing too big or solid is going though, i.e stones etc I cant see dust killing it over a short period. IMO foam filters are too restrictive, that and I like the noise my metal filter make :lol:

Nad

A

Anonymous

I was actually tempted to go for a metal filter because I like the look of them, but now you mention a sound I'm gonna look into it a bit more :)

M

memski

Nad said:
Blitz SUS is where its at. In the end of the day little bit of dust is gonna get burnt to crap in the engine. Yeah they let more through but in the end of the day its minute particles. Look at those people who use a bit of mesh. As long as nothing too big or solid is going though, i.e stones etc I cant see dust killing it over a short period. IMO foam filters are too restrictive, that and I like the noise my metal filter make :lol:

Nad
Another thing to think about with a steel filter is that it will conduct heat and therefore the "cold air" will be heated up a bit (resulting in less dense inducted air/power). Similar to having a steel intake pipe I guess.

skiddusmarkus

I made(badly)a cold air box with a feed from scoop-similar in idea to SE one but not as good.Inside box was an SUS and it never ever got hot.After a blast it was cold to the touch.
I've seen the SE box filter and I wouldn't use it on my car.I liked the box dseign(both types)but not the way the filter lay in it.IMO it wouldn't stop enough crap for my liking.

Nad

But what happened if u polish the pipes though? ALso the SUS is nice and shiny :D

Nad

coxie

i have used a hks spf for about 8000 miles now and i feel it is much better than the k & n that was on before :D ...however i am looking into getting a metal filter instead but i am not sure which to get. :?

S

srbpower

Dan was running the Blitz induction it. Ran it on Abbeys dyno thingy, then changed it for the Apexi powerintake... ran it again. Gues which filter is now on the car :roll: :D

Si :)