SE Nissan air box vs normal induction kit (blitz LM/HKS SP)

B

BabyBhp

hi
just wanted to no what would be better out of the 2 for 450bhp+ :?:
thanks
Yasir

S

Sirnixalot

just make a heat sheild.....for the filter. and apexi makes THE BEST cotton filter...if you are going with a metal mesh filter the hks and blitz flows just as much air but with less filtration. Problem is the apexis performance wears down with age...the metal ones dont.

the ram induction from the scoop may do more harm than good. Its good to ram cold air in but if the MAF is too close to it the turbulant air will cause erratic readings at high speeds.

I say just put the sucker behind the head light and sheild it from the rest of the engine bay

P.S. FOAM FILTERS SUCK DONKEY BALLS

A

Anonymous

Re: SE Nissan air box vs normal induction kit (blitz LM/HKS

BabyBhp said:
hi
just wanted to no what would be better out of the 2 for 450bhp+ :?:
thanks
Yasir
can`t remember from where but,was once told that you don`t get any benefit from cold air boxes until really silly speeds.

S

Sirnixalot

foam doesnt keep anything out of your engine...the dry rot and get sucked into your engine and their flow isnt impressive either....they just plain suck

Sweeny

IMO Pipercross vector filter (from an RS500 :oops: ) copes with upto 515bhp.

Pretty damn big but looks good. :D

W

Willy

I was thinking of just putting a high-flowing K&N panel filter in the factory air box and running a cold air intake up from the front bar. Like in the how-to guides. That way it looks stock and I don't have to worry about heat shields etc. I'm not a big fan of pod filters. I've had two on my last 2 cars. The first car I found it made no difference and I made a dodgy heat shield and noticed a notable increase in performance (in an NA car).

My second car had a pod filter down behind the bumper. It was good because it sucked in cool air and was out of the engine bay, but it was bad because it gets wet when it rains and is near impossible to keep clean.

So what do you reckon of my stock air box idea?

J

JohnnyGTiR

I think the stock box/cold air combo should work just as well as the pod filter/heatshield combo. Just make sure you use a good quality filter.

If my car had the stock box in it when I got it, I would have left it there for sure and just run a cold air pipe to it.

Mine has a K&N pod filter with a cold air pipe running from the brake duct, I haven't put the heat shield on yet but will be doing so very soon.

I also agree with Sirnixalot that foam filters are no good. Every test I have seen/read shows they don't filter as well as the others.

John

W

Willy

I agree with that on the foam filters.

Also, in Australia we have a popular brand called UniFilter. A few mates of mine have them, they are a foam filter. They have continual problems with these filters that they just fall apart after 6 months to a year. I've even heard of someone sucking part of the filter into the turbo on his RS liberty and killing the turbo. For some reason my mates still continue to use them ??

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member

oap-r said:
can`t remember from where but,was once told that you don`t get any benefit from cold air boxes until really silly speeds.
Are you sure it was cold air and not ram air feeds? Cold air should work at any speed as long as it's cold :wink: but ram air takes a helluvalot of speed to start increasing pressure.

A

Anonymous

Fast Guy said:
Are you sure it was cold air and not ram air feeds? Cold air should work at any speed as long as it's cold :wink: but ram air takes a helluvalot of speed to start increasing pressure.
you could well be right :wink:

A

Anonymous

So what filter do you guys recommend? I've got an HKS, one of those foam mushroom efforts, any good?

Also, I'm not sure that you'd get any ram effect from the SE kit as it is basically a large airbox that takes it's cold air feed from the bonnet scoop.

Dunc

S

Sirnixalot

Duncan said:
So what filter do you guys recommend? I've got an HKS, one of those foam mushroom efforts, any good?

Also, I'm not sure that you'd get any ram effect from the SE kit as it is basically a large airbox that takes it's cold air feed from the bonnet scoop.

Dunc

foam filters arent any good

A

Anonymous

But then ofcourse a moderator on a forum is going to know alot more than the engineers from HKS who built the foam filters isnt he :)

Its probably some old tale from a guy that used these forums ages ago that had a 1 million post count and every one wanted to be him, when he imported his car it had a metal air filter fitted, told every one how great it was and how crap the alternatives were and all the sheep agreed .

See alot of that on here, so dont beleive everything you read .

No disraspect intended to anyone, just adding my opinion .

S

Sirnixalot

you compare them then....never mind what is proven. IM trying to find the link. And i must concur with it. I did it as one of my physics lab's in college (which was only 3 years ago).

I didnt buy the filters but i borrowed them from a tuner for the afternoon.

The trust and hks foam filters caught less dirt and didnt flow as much as the Apexi and K&N cotton ones did. The blitz and hks metal screen ones flowed the most but they were worse at keeping dirt out than the cotton filters too

And as for the dryrotting thing...i dont know if you get much salt spray up there but salt spray + heat + foam + time = crumbly shit going through your turbine blades.

Do your own comparison and see what i mean

my post count and admin status has nothing to do with my findings

i could easily say you are a regular memeber with no post count and hence forth you are talking crap but i didnt.