screamer pipe

hi..
what do you think about screamer pipe on a R?
sound like?
have you got a vids with screamer pipe on a R?
attend your reply
thanks
bye

steve963

they are my vids, trust me its too loud, dont bother unless your using it for track or live innercity!

another problem with mine is the main pipe dosent seal around the turbo outlet properly so some leaks past down the screamer, so it sounds like its blowing all the time :-( (this is with a std internan wastegate turbo though)

gunmetalgtir

steve963 said:
they are my vids, trust me its too loud, dont bother unless your using it for track or live innercity!

another problem with mine is the main pipe dosent seal around the turbo outlet properly so some leaks past down the screamer, so it sounds like its blowing all the time :-( (this is with a std internan wastegate turbo though)
I would have took that back if I was you mate! Sounds as if it's a poor fit?

gtirneil

Have you still got it fitted?

Any chance of getting a sound clip of a drive by, i was looking at getting one fitted when i get my new R but im split 50/50

steve963

yeah will get my misses, to get deafened later!

it is a poor fit but I think difficult to make as a tube slides into the turbo outlet and its slightly too small, the welding also warps the tube slightly also ...

steve963

AEM performance in Austrailia, its the one from the group buy

if you check out the thread you can see the tube i mean which goes "into" the turbo

gunmetalgtir

Yeah I see what you mean, do you know if there are any benefits of having the two pipes coming out of it and rejoining the downpipe (one without the screamer pipe) rather than just one big fat ass pipe? The janspeed one I have is just one pipe.

gtirneil

Was it just yours or are all of the screamer ones abit dodgy???

When does it start to get noisy, is it just at full chat?

sorry for all the questions buddy.

A

alana

I've got one fitted too, It is a poor fit as the actual screamer pipe fouls the chassis but mine has sealed well, it does have an increase on perfomance . If your running standard boost i would not get one as it will sound pants!! But if you running a half decent boost level they sound alright "Screams!!"

A

alana

steve963 said:
AEM performance in Austrailia, its the one from the group buy

if you check out the thread you can see the tube i mean which goes "into" the turbo
AM Performance ;-)

youngsyp

gunmetalgtir said:
Yeah I see what you mean, do you know if there are any benefits of having the two pipes coming out of it and rejoining the downpipe (one without the screamer pipe) rather than just one big fat ass pipe?
It's supposed to reduce turbulence around the turbo outlet and so, improve gas speed. That's great in theory but, the T28 doesn't have a partition between the wastegate outlet and the exhaust turbine outlet. So basically, this design is a complete waste of effort on the T28 or any turbo with a (G)T28 style internal wastegated turbo housing.

I've not had any issues with Hayward & Scott 3" single pipe elbow and downpipe. It's made quite good power actually.

Paul

youngsyp

gunmetalgtir said:
Might have known you would come to the rescue and answer yet another one of my questions Paul! :lol:
Stick with the Janspeed one mate. It's a much better design !

Paul

steve963

its noisey all throughout, sounds like a tractor (due to the leak as mentioned above), but gets very noisey when the wastegate opens, its a very harsh noise also, like robots being blended lol

mrs wasnt up for being deafened last night, so ill get the vid posted soon

steve963

youngsyp said:
It's supposed to reduce turbulence around the turbo outlet and so, improve gas speed. That's great in theory but, the T28 doesn't have a partition between the wastegate outlet and the exhaust turbine outlet. So basically, this design is a complete waste of effort on the T28 or any turbo with a (G)T28 style internal wastegated turbo housing.

I've not had any issues with Hayward & Scott 3" single pipe elbow and downpipe. It's made quite good power actually.

Paul
the tube goes into the turbo outlet, hence creating a partition, and a leak down the screamer :doh:

steve963

youngsyp said:

Paul
the tube goes into the turbo outlet, hence creating a partition, and a leak down the screamer :doh:

youngsyp

steve963 said:
And you think that gives a gas tight seal ?
It'll never work as it should as, it's not been designed properly. Again, you can't use that type of elbow design with the T28 turbo or ant turbo with the T28 style exhaust housing. That includes the 3071, with internal wastegate. Hence why yours sounds like a tractor.

I'd put money down that this design elbow doesn't perform as well as a single chamber and single pipe elbow and downpipe. What the AEM design does is reduce the functional elbow size, for the exhaust outlet, to small than the size of the exhaust outlet hole, in the turbo hotside. So what is that, around 2.25" (64mm) minus the thickness of the pipe ?!

Paul

steve963

I know what you mean I`ll have to see if he makes single hole elbows to join up the the rest of the system, but think they may be difficult to make from steel tube, wouldnt it need to be cast due to the unusual shape of the turbo?