Scoopless Bonnet

A

Anonymous

I want to make a "Wolf in sheeps clothing" car and am pondering removing rear spoiler and getting a boonet with no air scoop after fitting front mounted intercooler.
Any thoughts ? emails to Ali_Hud1966@yahoo.com appreciated.
Is there such a thing as a scoopless bonnet already on another model of this car that would fit ?? Or is it time for cutting it out and filling it in ??

Alistair

A

Anonymous

Its essentially a sunny mate, providing you loose the top mount intercooler, any sunny bonnet will fit.

Dan

M

memski

Keep the standard wheels, and don't forget the 1.4sr badge on the boot [:D] You might want to use some washers under the bonnet hinges to raise it slightly at the rear to aid the release of hot air from under the bonnet.

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
I'm sure I saw on the forum somewhere that the handling will go down the pan if you take off the rear spoiler. Is that the case webmaster [?]

C

Cashpoint

better still get a sunny bonnet and then get one of those sh1t stick on R scoops [:D] that'l hide what the car can do

** weeks with out an R and missing it
Supra TT Now same fuel bills different sh*t
Seat belt Pads aren't good, even Novas deserve more!

Nad

I wouldnt want to go to fast without the spoiler, its a fair old size and should generate a fair bit of downforce. If u watched the grandprix practice/qualifying a few weeks back and saw what happened when the rear spoiler flew off the Jordan,I wouldnt fancy the same effect in my R.......

Nad

V's Fav webby

JapUK's first Martini Nova and the Champion Blue GTIR

http://www.rallymadnad.coolfreepages.com

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!!

Video of my car

A

Anonymous

quote:memski
Posted - 31/08/2003 : 21:54:49
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...You might want to use some washers under the bonnet hinges to raise it slightly at the rear to aid the release of hot air from under the bonnet.

will this not let hot ait straight into the heater ducts just under the windscreen?

A

Anonymous

i have a standard nissan sunny scoopless bonnet in grey if your interested, im in London

prkwan

20legacy is there any chance that u can weight the normal sunny bonnet?
i wanna see how much weight u can save just by swapping! thx! [:)]

I am exhausted, are you?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Ali, you'll need to hide the front mount too. After just having fitted my oen, it's abit of a give away at the moment. :oops:

G

gotoinstant-redline

your right about the rear spoiler..

it doesnt really give downforce as such.. it just makes sure you dont get lift!

there have been a few peeps woh have taken the rear spoiler off for other ones etc. but they foudn the car was all over the road at higher speeds. if a rally car needs it as lower speeds then you need it at 100+mph!!!

having said that.. if you want to hide the gtir then you could get a diff' spoiler of the same sorta shelf style and stick that on the back.. to make it look like you were trying to get a gtir one but couldnt afford it on your 1.4 ;)

so with a 1.4 badge on the rear, standard alloys or similar small ones, smooth bonnet and weird non gtir rear spoiler.. i think you could make it look like a tarted up 1.4 and waste a whole load of people with it :)

have fun

L.

A

Anonymous

Oh and the sr model is 1.6 not 1.4 (not that it makes much difference).

I'll gladley swap my standard bonnet it ya want?

J

jasegould

I cant see the rear spolier making that much difference, at the end of the day the GTIR has the aerodynamic qualities of a brick :lol: U cant really compare it to a F1 car as they are designed around aerodynamics, the GTIR is designed around some old bid going down the shops to get the weekly shopping!!

G

gotoinstant-redline

jasegould2002 said:
I cant see the rear spolier making that much difference, at the end of the day the GTIR has the aerodynamic qualities of a brick :lol: U cant really compare it to a F1 car as they are designed around aerodynamics, the GTIR is designed around some old bid going down the shops to get the weekly shopping!!
the air that goes over the top of the car will get sucked to the back of the car and slow it down a lot due to the flat rear bootlid if there was no spoiler. this will also mean that if the air from ontop of the car is coming down then the air underneath wont come up as far.. you get lower presure over the top of the car. the faster you go the bigger the effect.. leading to an unstable ride at speed.
(for proper 'flip' aero dynamics, see the first release of the audi TT)

the key to the rear spoiler is the over hang. the low presure area that the spoiler creates under it, helps to drag the air from under the rear bumper up to the boot and to keep the air going over the top going flat along the roof line.

this way both jets of air (top and bottom) will meet up having traveled a similar distance to each other. the net effect is that if they both have the same distance to travel then there should be less of a low presure point over the roof line of the car.. keeping you on the road.

like i said above. not really much downforce, more of an anti lift spoiler. 'spoiling' the airflow over the crude aerofoil of the cars shape.

in a nut shell.. dont take it off!

L.

J

jasegould

I wasnt being that serious with what I said :D :wink: but fully understand what you mean...I thought the TT had problems with the rear end letting go for no apparent reason on corners and the spoiler was added as a part of a rectification recall mainly to distinguish between the ones that had the recall and the ones that hadnt??

G

gotoinstant-redline

na.. the TT (or flip as i like to call it) had a take off problem over 125mph without the stock spoiler! so they recalled all of them and fitted it for free.
i still see some without this added so i can only assume that they never drive it that fast or drive slow cos they dont want a silly little spoiler.

the TT never flipped over tottaly.. but that was what would have happened if the test driver hadnt notied the problem when he did.
it started to lift and he slammed on the brakes..

L.