Sad or interesting?

olliecast

Evening all,
Anyone ever come across this before?

I`m getting my rb box (used to be rich from redlines) ready for installation and noticed an end case bolt was missing.

I thought i`d take one out of a box i`ve had for ages (stripped 3rd off bob) and found that the diameter and thread of the bolts are different.

Could this potentially be a way of telling an rb box from a standard, or is this one of the modifications bought in by the 2nd phase of casings?

Cheers,
ollie :-o

olliecast

the bottom one is from my rb box. The top from a standard.

If its the still the stndard box that came off my car then its off a 1990 car with phase 1 interior

P

pulsarboby

i think youll find that there are 3 slightly different end casings ollie, but i didnt know the thread diameter was different

olliecast

ah ok, didn`t realise that bob.

I wondered if it was just the one bolt, i.e. helicoil kit fitted but all of them around the casing are the same

saddler

series 2 gearbox casing ?? Makes you think if Nissan had a go at correcting the gearbox issue..

geoff pine

Whats the number stamped on the end of the box does this have any relevance to what the box is (ra or rb)or is it just the serial number .

olliecast

number 7 is on the bolts on the standard box, nothing stamped on the rb bolts.

Not sure about the number geoff. I`ve searched and peoples views differ

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That number is just the tensile strength of the bolt and doesn't tell you anything useful.

olliecast

It sure does matey, just someone was asking earlier.

Strange how the rb bolts don't have anything on them. They appear hi tensile though

olliecast

Measured the thread today,
10mm x 1.25mm.........bloody awkward size coupled with small heads to clear the casing!