RWD Gearbox for pulsar engine

xpackken

Hi guys , im no longer a pulsar owner :( but i love the engines still and i plan to put the engine in my capri , so my question is what gearbox can ya bolt to these engines for rwd use ? my mate has got a 200sx engine in a capri but obviously they are rwd ! will one of them boxes work ?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
What's the story Ken? You didn't have it long...

I don't think there's any gearbox which will easily bolt onto the GTi-R lump; but you can probably get an adaptor made-up if you're really keen.

xpackken

podody , just trying to insure the car mate ended up a huge problem , dont have a clue why , not a bad area 23 0 ncb licence 5 years . It realy pissed me off in the end iand i was fed up . currenlt running a capri with a 2.8 turbo tecnics with 194bhp but a heavy lump ! insurance 466 per year ! !

so would the 200 sx box not work then no ? this engine must have been rwd before now !!

Or would i be better of using the 2000 engine ? what they like ?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
No. It's not the same block; it's similar, yes.
The GTi-R block is unique because it's designed to go in the east-west configuration; the engine mounts are different, the block thickness is different (from memory it's thicker, but slightly shorter), and...er... well I'm already at the limit of my knowledge (and expecting someone to set me straight pretty soon).

If you throw enough money at it, you can match it up with something I'm sure... but in (relatively) standard form it won't match with any RWD gearbox. At least, that's what I was lead to believe.

ZED_not_zee

There are two different types of SR FWD/AWD and RWD

in north america Silvia/240SX guys have been trying for years to put the stoutest SR in there car (GTiR) with expensive and limited success....

could you have a bell housing adapter fabed up? yes but you'll most likley have to change the input shaft as well so you get the correct spline count or run a custom clutch disc tha has the right spline count and will work with an SR pressure plate.... etc etc

other solution RB25 swap!

Tim

Yeh, just use an S14 engine/box, capri will be pretty mega with that configuration be a lot cheaper too :thumb:

dotalot

Why even bother with a jap engine, a cosworth will go straight in and will cost half the price to tune or repair if it blows up.

gl3nn

I totally agree you'll spend more money on oil for a cossie thank anything and a good sr20 loves being thrashed

Mate Andy Gallagher runs thee good old Cossie YB lump in his focus race car and it hasnt blown up once.
Personally i would go for the cossie lump. :)

xpackken

i love a cossie motor mate , they do go in relativly easy if you gota pinto engined capri not a v6 (but still easy enogh) ive had a cossie in a capri , but have you seen the price atm just for an engine 2k-3k , then the t5 boxes are mega bucks , AND cossie capris are done to death .

whats the best 200 engine then , whats the difference between them all ?

sorry to be thick !

sumo

well dont bother with the 200 s13 or s14 gearbox they s##t just like gtir one most off the drift lot put is skyline box u hav to get a adapter made up just get a skyline engine and box or a big v8 :thumbsup:

Trip

The YB Coworth engine for what its worth is a well proven engine which you will probably find engine internals off the shelf at a grocery store for it. Not to mention the simplicity of the electronics side of it and the factory ECU which can be modified to accept any kind of configuration, from 8 injectors, to wasted spark config, it can even launch a rocket to mars.

ZED_not_zee

i dunno here in canada an RB26 is like twice what a 2jz costs,,, RB= better motor yea but$$$ is king, and really speed is relative to money... anyhting can be fast with money lol.

how much does a ford t5 go for in the UK? cuz they grow on trees round here (I live across the crick from Detroit heh) trade pulsar parts for deroit muscle parts?