Running too cool...

wrc

I knew this car would kick up a fuss when it realised it was for sale lol I swear 'it knows...'

Ok, yesterday randomly the temp decides to sit at 60deg rather than the normal 80....

Obviously bloody annoying as it still sits it in the warm up map and runs rich and poo :( if I let the car stand the temp rises nicely but as soon as you get going - down to 60 she goes.

I know what youre all going to say... I changed the thermostat today for a new one, still the bloody same lol I was so confident my stat has just jammed open lol but obviously not and I'm a little stumped at what could be keeping it so cool...

Racking my brains the only thing I can think of is the thermostat becoming dis-lodged in its housing..?? Or am I clutching at straws....?

Help.

wrc

Auxillery guage that has a sensor plumbed into the top hose.

It seems accurate still as the fans cut in at 95 on that aftermarket guage as per standard. Just when you get moving, temp goes back down.

The stock guage just sits there in the middle...

Ive bled the system by the book as I have done many times.

What do you guys think I should be looking at?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It would help if you could get the reading from the ecu to confirm that your aftermarket gauge/sender isn't playing up.

wrc

This is true, but unless someone knows a nice little trick I have no way of telling :(

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I think I'm going to have to get a consult cable. - I've noticed Fusion Ed keeps saying that too; you need to know what the ECU is seeing rather than what your gauges (or multimeter) are reading.

If it's not an airlock, what else could it be? IAC valve stuck open; lambda sensor on the way out?

wrc

I have no idea, if I was running too hot I could understand but too cold is a funny one - I'll try and have a better look and diagnosis when I get home later.

wrc

No it wasn't, I found it strange myself...

Thinking about it I should of checked that the battery light comes on with ignition before removing the alternator earlier though.

Battery was only showing 11.8v whilst running.

HOWEVER I did probe the alternator by using a multimeter and using the positive probe on the large main wire connection on the alternator and put the negative probe against the engine .... Still only 11.8v .... Correct way to test the alternator or have I just removed it for no reason? Lol

wrc

I know that part, just want to make sure I haven't got a breakdown between the alternator and battery, I'm sure I tested it right, just being paranoid!

red reading

put your tester on the battery terminal's and with all the lights and heater and rear window demister on you should get circa 13.6 -13.8v at the battery, and with it all off no more than 14.4v with the revs at a bout 2000rpm