Running set up with Apexi AVCR and SAFC

Nick K

Hi All,

Have a few questions regarding set up on the Pulsar. Ok this is what i'm going to be running to start with.

Standard engine ( Think mine is forged but we'll go with OE for now )
Turbo ( Again think its a hybrid but go with OE unit )
Ecu OE.
Uprated fuel pump (255)
OE 550 injectors.
Wide band AFR
Adjustable fuel reg.
Standard MAF
Front mount spec R

Now i'm planning to run 1 bar on the standard ecu ( If that's ok on the OE ecu )

I'm more interested in how people are running there Apexi kit. Do you set the AVCR to just put 1 bar straight in across the rev range or do you run a progressive increase in pressure as the rpm increases and or run different pressures in different gears to protect the drive train?!

Is there a rule of thumb with the SAFC?! ie 30% more air = put 4psi more boost in ect. ( looking for mid 12's on the AFR ??)

What rpm roughly is the turbo on full chat

What boost can the OE ecu handle. Do people increase the fuel pressure so it doesn't max out the injectors. So many questions.

I apologise now for asking so much.

All i'm looking for is a rough idea on what i can run her at safety on what's fitted listed above before i go down the standalone route.

I have read lots on setup's etc but im after a idiots guide to what the OE ecu as handle safety.

Thank you in advance.

P.S i've never worked on or driven a pulsar so that will explain some of my basic questions, I'm normally in a R5 Turbo or a Punto GT but decided i'm bored with this power lets get a real car!! :lol:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Your best bet is probably not to dick with the SAFC or fuel pressure, but to increase the boost with the controller and keep an eye on the mixture with your wideband. - When it starts to look lean, knock it back a bit.

I don't think there's a hard and fast answer to how much boost the standard ECU will cope with; it's more about where the airflow goes off the top of the map and it doesn't know what to do any more. - People used to say it was something like 1 bar, but that at 1.2 bar the overfuelling matched the airflow... but that's probably not true.

Similarly you may find that you could wind it out to 1.4 bar of boost, but that it doesn't actually flow very well and that you make more power at something lower.

Personally I don't think increasing the fuel pressure is a smart idea; you're better off running bigger injectors than forcing the standard ones to flow more... but that requires a remap.

red reading

Oe injectors are yellow 440cc and top out at about 320bhp, same as the standard airflow meter, set it up on a dyno with 550cc evo injectors and a z32 maf and you should see anything up to 345-350bhp on a fit set up.

Nick K

Hi.
OK, Thank you for the advice, I'm going to start at 1 bar of boost for a start and see how she reacts to that. If all is good then i'll look at changing the injectors and maf and take her to the next stage :lol: She has not run for 6 years so i'm unsure what to expect to be fair. Fingers cross the engine is good :unsure:

Last edited:

Nick K

Hi.
OK, Thank you for the advice, I'm going to start at 1 bar of boost for a start and see how she reacts to that. If all is good then i'll look at changing the injectors and maf and take her to the next stage :lol: She has not run for 6 years so i'm unsure what to expect to be fair. Fingers cross the engine is good :unsure: