running rough and fault code 43

bengilmore

Took the R to work today and it was fine this morning, then started it to come home and it was very resitant. Was also idling very low.
When you went to accelerate slowly it would be holding back and then it would shoot off, as if you were holding the handbrake on and then letting it off :? But if you accelerated quickly it would not hesitate at all :?

Fault code 43 came up which is Throttle Sensor Circuit :?

Also my expansion bottle was nearly empty :shock:

Any ideas :?:

Cheers

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
First thing I'd do is check the radiator level, take the cap off and have a look. Top the exspansion tank up abit, so when the radiator is full if it overflows it doesn't end up sucking air back in instead of cooolant .

bengilmore

ok the radiator was full, and i topped up the expaansion bottle, thought it made a difference last night, but when i took it out tonight, it was at it again.
Idling at about 300rpm at times :shock:

Any ideas :?:

bengilmore

Anyone :( :?:

I dont want to have to send it to a tuners and get charged loads, when it could be something i can sort out myself :!:

antgtir

I would start to do the normal checks for when you are losing fluid mate, oil check for creamy gunk, any water leaks from pipes i.e. splits etc. Seems strange that the water in the expansion tank is dissapearing :?

Have you changed the throttle sensor yet mate??

Ant.

bengilmore

no havent changed it yet, might get it done on wed or fri night, if not it will be next week :( :(

Oil is ok, but i agree does seem strange that water is disapperaing

bengilmore

ok so im only getting round to this now :oops:

Can anyone point out on these pics where the throttle sensor circuit is :?:

Is this it (green springy thing :?: )

Or is there a pic in the workshop manual because i have that on CD(volume 1)

Anyone have a part number for it :?:

Nigell_d6

Follow the Tps thread in maintenance I think it is, its in one of them anyway, and its on the right side of the plenum, most of your pics are of the left side, Volume 1 has all the info you need to test in the Engine fuel and emmision control section,

Regards
Nigel

A

AJ4

just be careful with the two screw holding it on, they seem to be really soft metal and they're a bitch to get loose.. ;

J

jpward

Gee only seeing this now matey didnt know you were in diffs!! I have kinda had that problem at a time but luckly it drove out but still occasionally low idles think its my pcv valve though, as i have a crankcase filter on.

If you want im sure i can nip over give you a hand im no stranger to the engine bay of an R :lol:

PS i assume you tried to reset the fault code and it came up again right away?

bengilmore

ye tried to reset it but no use.

Having a go at it now, but not much luck in getting it off.

Also just spotted somethin. Should there be a wire connection underneath it, as there is a space for a connection to plug in, its pointing down towards the ground.........