Rough idle

A

Anonymous

I recently put my gti-r to a rolling road but the guy wouldnt do it as my car wasn't 100% he said because of a slight mis-fire from idle up to about 1500-2000 rpm?Its got worse in the year i have had it so i put new plugs, distributor cap. rotor arm and leads off a car that was idling fine on it so what can it be??
p.s. Is 12psi safe enough for everyday use :?: :?:

A

antilag

make sure u ent got a boost leek or anything like that,also u can try to adjust it the screw is down near were the standard dump valve was or is its the size of a 5p coin on the inlet manifold

A

Anonymous

idle

aye, ta for that.I havent managed to look on the manifold yet though,dont even get a chance to drive it as often as i would like either :( ! The idle is much worse when its cold, almost to the point of cutting out, but theres still a misfire in it when its warm :?: . Sum1 mentioned an ignition module, but that sounds kinda pricey and there aint another pulsar where i live to borrow one. If anyones had this bother before and sorted it, ide be glad to hear what it was.Cheers

A

Anonymous

I had this problem, turned out to be a dodgy connection to the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor

Dan

A

Anonymous

does the pulsar have the utterly useless EGR pipe on the engine?
the valve in this sticking could cause a similar problem, IIRC only when the engine's warm though

A

Anonymous

sorry i'm not very clued up on some of the names of parts, but whats the EGR pipe?? Ive found out sumthing else since my last post 2. Recently it has been misfiring so bad it wouldnt even start,just fire occassionaly.Having pulled the plug leads off 1 by 1 i found it was only firing on one cylinder but all leads were sparking. I took out the plugs,which i renewed not so long ago(NGK PFR7B Platinum), and found the they were covered in a kind of lumpy deposit :?: .Dont look like carbon though and it looks like the edge of 1 is actually melted away slightly, oh dear :? !To get it running again i had to clean up the old HKS plugs i had in it before and it started no probs, but its still back to that misfire at idle.I was thinking of taking it to a garage to get the emissions checked/adjusted. The car is pretty much standard other than an induction kit, decat scorpion exhaust,dump valve and 10 psi boost.Runs very well at anything above idle so i'm shtuck. Oh aye i was thinking there might be an air leak between the flow meter and the inlet manifold so i fitted the meter straight onto the manifold to try it but made no difference.Ta

M

Mr Overboooost

when you are driving does it still misfire at 1500-2k when you are off boost using very light throttle only :?:
i had almost the same problem and in the end it was the ignition module so try borrowing someone elses before you fork out for a new one.

cheers
gary

A

Anonymous

yes it does hesitate or mis-fire at a light throttle, which is annoying when driving slowly. Is the ignition module the coil? If it is i took it off to degrease it and dry it out on a heater overnight thinking that would help because cars usually get affected by the damp weather round here at this time of year.Made no difference though.

O

Olly

No its below the coil chap 2 screws and one connector going to it :shock:

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that i will check it out.I was speaking to a garage today and they said the problem could be the oxygen sensor and to take it out to clean it.I took it out but it was spotless so out of interest :idea: i unplugged it and took the car for a run but it made absoulutely no difference whatsoever that i could see! Still had the slight slight miss at idle but runs fine everywhere else. Is this another utterly useless thing on the pulsars :?: .I will go and have a look for that EGR pipe.Thanks 8)