Revs when hits boost?!

Johneh

Well the cars been standing for a while cause of fitting frontmount wheels etc.. plus lack of insurance doesnt help! So anyways, dad took it out for me yesterday for a quick run up and down the a1. Seems fine running on standard boost, but when putting it on boost (1.2 bar..) every time it hits boost it seems to rev by its self then catches and goes fine. So keeping in the same gear and just flooring it it does it. Its got a helix organic clutch in it, will that just need a bit of use to get it to stop doing it cause its been standing for so long... or is my clutch completely on its way out? :( Im hoping that its gonna be something not serious cause i've got to pay insurance out this week!

paz

Sounds like the clutch is slipping and on its way out to me pal, how many miles are on the helix?

It could just be hot or something if your dads not used to driving it, but its pretty unlikely.

Paz

Johneh

Not sure, previous owner had it in. Cars only done 25 miles since i bought it in november! But it wasnt doing it last time it was out (About 1-2 months ago?!), guess i'll just have to save up and get a new one when it goes :(

paz

Thats what it sounds like to me pal, saying that it might be worth driving the car for a bit longer before splashing out, mine slipped once a while ago for no reason at all on the motorway - its never done it before and never done it since, I just put it down to the car throwing a bit of a hissy fit for some reason :lol:

It was raining at the time, thought it might be down to that - never figured it out :lol:

paz

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I would give it some miles first before I started panicing if its been sitting around through the cold damp winter months. Think what your brake discs look like and how they work when you first use the car as the friction/pressure plate are similar.

Johneh

Fair point, first day its on the road im taking it to leicester to the rolling road day thats being organised on the other gtir club.. so plenty of miles before I get there, gonna make sure its driven for a good 5 hours or so before I take it there. Need to get used to driving a turbo'd awd too, which will be interesting. Just gonna take it easy I think :) And promise myself i wont touch the boost controller..

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Sounds like a good plan. Just use it normally first and you could always stick it on high boost once you get to the RR day. If you're clutch is on its way out, one more blast isn't going to delay the inevitable.