Replacement body panels

Richard_Sideways

Its time to sort out the rotten rear arches and the people I've got doing me a quote at the moment are having problems sourcing replacement panels. Where are people going for the donor panels these days?

Apologies if I'm going over old ground here, I've had a look through the Wiki and most of the stuff there dates from about 2005.

grim_d

5dr arch panels available on eBay, last set I got was from carz2.co.uk if they still stock them.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Let us know the approximate price for the work. - I need to get my arches sorted too, so I'll need to put money aside so that my wife doesn't get upset when she sees the cost on our bank statement. ;-)

Richard_Sideways

Will do - assuming they ever get back to me. Been waiting a week for the quote now. They reckon the inner panel will have gone too so will have to work on that - as always it'll be the labour cost to put it right that'll be the biggest cost.

Richard_Sideways

OK, got my quote back... just shy of £3000. I know its a PITA job to do but that seems steep - no wonder so many end up scrapped.
How much have other people paid to sort out problem rear arches? Any recommendations for the South East/South London area?

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
I know a man for less than that, you are welcome to his number to have a chat with him if you like

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I hate to say it, but if I got a quote for that price I'd be breaking-out the body-filler and doing a (another) half-arsed repair job on it. - That's more than the insurance will value my car.

Richard_Sideways

Thanks The Doc, PM me the guys details and I'll have a chat. I was prepared for an estimate of about £1500, with another third or so contingency once they started digging, but I just can't justify dropping £3k and more on a car that's probably worth £4k on a good day. Will do a ring round of the local coachworks today see who can look at her on Saturday.

warpspeed

That is a steep quote, I'd be just over a grand for the work plus paint but only hassle would be that I'm just south of Glasgow

Turmoil

Just had a quote to chop out and weld new arch in.. Sort front wing (small rust patch)...Sort sill... Said probably will have some rot....

Sort all the parking dings.. Remove window rubbers, mirror ect and paint the full side...£600...

BMCC

I got the arches done on mine about 18 mths ago. They didn't use replacement panels they just made up the panels themselves. Both the outer and inner arches were rotten so it ended up being a bit of a job ~ £1200 although they also cut out some rust on the boot as well.

Richard_Sideways

Minor update: finally settled on a garage to do the work - found a place that specializes in restoration work in Mitcham. Tidy, modern workshop, new spray booth. £1300 for both arches, and anything lurking beneath, do the sills if required, fixing one of the seams that run down under the rear light, blend all the paint in properly and Waxoyl the old girls underside to within an inch of her life. Goes in on the 15th.