Removing the Radiator

C

Crazy

My plan is to fit my Koyo 3 core radiator on Wednesday and I was wondering if removing the rad is a big job :?:

Are there any nuts/bolts to remove :?:

Do I just take off the coolant pipes & fans & pull out the rad :?:

Any of you guys got any tips for refilling/bleeding the coolant system after I get the new rad fitted :?:

Do I just fill up the coolant system with water and let it run without a cap on the water bottle or are there any bleed nipples :?:

I will also be fitting my oil cooler and was wondering if I should just fit it and drive off or should I fill it with oil :?:

Thanks in advance lads and any advice is greatly appreciated :wink:

S

Sirnixalot

the radiator takes 2 10mm nuts to be removed along with the rad hoses and the fan harness'.

Make sure to transfer the lower rubber mounts to the Koyo.

Thats all the advice i can offer on the rad.

As for the oil cooler it all depends if you have a thermostat in the system.

S

Sirnixalot

also its good to see someone actaully making mods to the cooling system to handle the extra heat generated by a higher power output. 8)

C

Crazy

Sirnixalot
also its good to see someone actaully making mods to the cooling system to handle the extra heat generated by a higher power output
Yes mate I intend on fitting a low temp thermostat aswell, if I can find one :wink:

Sirnixalot
As for the oil cooler it all depends if you have a thermostat in the system.
Yes I do have a thermostat in my oil cooler kit! 8)

skiddusmarkus

Yes mate I intend on fitting a low temp thermostat aswell, if I can find one
They come up on ebay sometimes-search on nismo&sr20det&thermostat.I doubt you'll need one though with that new rad.

To bleed the rad there's a 10mm bolt by the water thermostat.It has a sticker on pointing to the right bolt(of 3) and says do not remove while hot or summat.

R

rsnissan

when u refill the coolant system mix the anitfreeze/summer coolant in a container before you add to the system :wink:

Add it to the rad and keep adding untill the system is full then start the car and keep adding as the water goes round the system once the system is full then fill up the overflow bottle. As skiddus says the drain nipple for the block is marked with caution hot or something.

Also the there is a drain plug at the bottom of the rad.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Should take you 10mins to take the Rad out and get your new one in...

:arrow: Remove the pipes and the 2 bolts holding it down at the top...

:arrow: Remove the Rad with the fans attached... Its easier removing the fans once the Rad is out...

:arrow: Swap the fans over to your new Rad and get it back in...

:arrow: Fill it up with coolant and leave the Rad cap off... Once filled is a good idea to queeze out the bottom coolant pipe... This will push out any trapped air in the system which will be released out where you fill the Rad with fluid...

:arrow: Fill the expansion tank and thats you done...

Rishi

C

Crazy

Thanks Rishi, thats how I like it :wink:

Straight & simple 8)

My last question is wether to fill my oil cooler with oil or leave it empty when I fit it to the car :?: :?:

My oil cooler has a thermostat :!:

Rishi

Crazy said:
Thanks Rishi, thats how I like it :wink:

Straight & simple 8)

My last question is wether to fill my oil cooler with oil or leave it empty when I fit it to the car :?: :?:

My oil cooler has a thermostat :!:

Fit your oil cooler when you do an oil change... Just fill the engine with oil as normal... When you turn the engine over, leave it for a minute to allow the oil to get around... Then just top up as much as is needed... Use the dip stick to judge how much to top up by...

Think normally you fill to 3.4l of oil... With an oil cooler you generally need an extra 0.2l - 0.3l depending on how long your oil cooler pipe run is...

C

Crazy

Thanks for the tips Rishi :wink:

Fitted the rad but................the inlet and outlet on my new Koyo radiator were alot smaller than the ones on the standard GTiR radiator :(

Sorted that only to find out that I could not get one of the fans back in place so I had to take off one of the turbo heat sheilds off :?

Then just to make it worse, the rad cap would not fit :cry:

The part of the rad that cap goes onto was slightly out of shape so we had to gently hammer a 21/22mm socket into it to put it back into shape :!:

After all that we still had to fit my Forge intercooler and oil cooler :shock:

Got the intercooler mounted and all the piping from the turbo to the intercooler fitted and will hopefully finish it off tommorrow aslong as it does not start raining again :wink: 8)

:D

skiddusmarkus

Fitted the rad but................the inlet and outlet on my new Koyo radiator were alot smaller than the ones on the standard GTiR radiator
Did the hoses squish down enough with the jubilees to get a watertight seal?i have one of these coming.

Sounds like you're making good progress :D .

Keira

skiddusmarkus said:
Fitted the rad but................the inlet and outlet on my new Koyo radiator were alot smaller than the ones on the standard GTiR radiator
Did the hoses squish down enough with the jubilees to get a watertight seal?i have one of these coming.

Sounds like you're making good progress :D .
If its smaller could you not get a piece of smaller diametre hose to put just on the inlet/outlet and then tighten the original hose down onto that :?:

Rishi

Crazy said:
Thanks for the tips Rishi :wink:

Fitted the rad but................the inlet and outlet on my new Koyo radiator were alot smaller than the ones on the standard GTiR radiator :(

Sorted that only to find out that I could not get one of the fans back in place so I had to take off one of the turbo heat sheilds off :?

Then just to make it worse, the rad cap would not fit :cry:

The part of the rad that cap goes onto was slightly out of shape so we had to gently hammer a 21/22mm socket into it to put it back into shape :!:

After all that we still had to fit my Forge intercooler and oil cooler :shock:

Got the intercooler mounted and all the piping from the turbo to the intercooler fitted and will hopefully finish it off tommorrow aslong as it does not start raining again :wink: 8)

:D

Ah well... Sounds like your having fun... :lol:

Good luck with finishing it all up....

Rishi

S

Sirnixalot

thats because its actually for a sentra ;) but they drop in. If you really wanted a leak free cooling system you could weld some -an fittings onto the rad and the ports on the block then run braided line 8)

C

Crazy

skiddusmarkus
Did the hoses squish down enough with the jubilees to get a watertight seal?i have one of these coming

No, they were no-where near :!: :(

kieron
If its smaller could you not get a piece of smaller diametre hose to put just on the inlet/outlet and then tighten the original hose down onto that
Thats exactly what we did :wink:

Finished off my Forge intercooler :D :D but due to the pipe runs on the intercooler I can no longer fit my front mounted oil cooler :(

I was planning on fitting it to bumper bar but that is no longer an option!

I am now lost for ideas and was wondering were to mount my oil cooler as I do not want to top mount it :?:

Any ideas lads :?:

P.S It is a 19 row Mocal oil cooler 8)

S

Sirnixalot

jesus thats a huge cooler....can it fit where the brake duct is on the drivers side?

C

Crazy

No chance, as the Forge intercooler pipes run right under the bumper reinforcement bar on the drivers side! :(

skiddusmarkus

I got my 13 row cooler in front of the forge fm.It's behind the grill to the left of car as you look at it.Try running it vertically for more clearance.

How did you reconnect the hoses then?