Removing headlight glass.

youngsyp

Guys,

I couldn't really think of anywhere else for this to go so, stuck it in here.

I want to remove the headlight glass from the plastic rear part so that I can remove something within the headlight itself. Has anyone done this before ? If so, how did you do it ?

From the looks of it, it's 'glued' into the plastic casing, then fixed with 2 metal clips, which I've removed. What I was going to do is stick it in the oven, for a couple of minutes at 75 degrees in an attempt to loosen the glue up, as can be done with the front indicators.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Paul

P

pulsarboby

why dont you just let me send you another light, or come pick one up?

youngsyp

pulsarboby said:
why dont you just let me send you another light, or come pick one up?
Because I like to destroy things Bob ! :lol:

Seriously though, I'm one of those people who gets an idea in their head and won't let it lye until they've tried it. I can't do things the easy way.
I was going to go out to the car, remove the headlight and try it at 10pm last night but, the better half already thinks I spend too much time fiddling with the car and even I thought that would be too much. :doh: :lol:

Plus, my HID kit should be with me tomorrow so, I wanna try and get the headlight sorted ASAP.

I'm sure they'll be an update to this post tomorrow to say I've buggered the headlight up anyway. :lol:

P

pulsarboby

ah i see! as ashills has said then! but use a heatgun (electric) if you have one but prise gently and let the gun do the work;-)

youngsyp

pulsarboby said:
ah i see! as ashills has said then! but use a heatgun (electric) if you have one but prise gently and let the gun do the work;-)
Cheers Bob.
I'm sure you'll be hearing from me soon though, to reserve a replacement. ;-)

antgtir

Ive done exactly the same thing, ive started stripping water pumps and done all sorts and ended up getting to bed, with a smile on my face i might add, at 04:00am lol, nothing better for a good nights sleep than a satisfactory job done on the R :lol:

Be careful with the heat gun, they are very potent and can melt the crap out of the hardest plastics etc.

Ant.

youngsyp

Well, I don't have a heat gun and, could see problems with the heat being very 'local' so, I tried my preferred oven technique.

I had to up the temperature to 100 degrees but, after 3 or 4 minutes, I took the headlight out and pulled it apart by hand, with a little help from a screw driver for extra leverage.

The sealant seems to be of the silicon variety, not like the 'glue' that seals the front indicator units ?!

Anyway, undid the 2 screws to remove the bulb shroud, blew the reflector to remove dust and stuck it back together. Stuck the unit back in the oven for 3 minutes, them took it out, squeezed it together and re-applied the clips. Job done.
Now I just have to fit my HID kit !

Last edited: