reducing wiring

jjs

hi using my pulsar as an autocross car, whats the absolute minimum wiring required for the pulsar to run, have done away with all lights etc, ignition switch , and runing mechanical gauges, so what sensors can be taken away, and whats the minimum wiring to the ecu , would like to get rid of as much wiring in the engine bay as possible any one tried this ? jim ;-)

Trip

I did.. What i did was strip the whole car from any wire possible. I am only using the nissan EFI and Engine harness (as found on the manual EL-208 and EL-212 ). All the rest is DIY including fuse box.

I'll find some pics for you

Trip

Fuse box and main relay.

Connections instead of the original fuse/realy box

Wiring for ignition ON, starting up and gauge cluster

Main wire harness under dash

Master power block. (top right you can see the radiator relay in blue and in-line fuse holder) (please note that the engine bay was cleaned after the pic was taken)

I have another harness which goes to the back connecting the Battery, fuel pump relay/fuse together with a Inertia switch to cut fuel supply incase of an accident.

All the remaining wires i took out from car

Finished product

Also note that i have MSD ignition/coil, Gizzmo shift light with launch control, PLX devices datalogger, oil temp, oil pressure, boost dails, 2 FIA master switches (one in engine bay and one inside), Turbo timer and Boost controller.

I made all these harnesses modualr so i can remove or add anything i want in the future. I also made a custom harness (not installed) which plugs in to an existing connector to give power to the front lights (in the event i want to race at night).

If you are going this route i suggest you study well the wiring of car, plan everything from before then simply plug and play :)

jjs

very tidy, cheers for that , still have two more rounds of the championship to go, so will leave car as is for the momment , and this will be a project for the winter , cheers Jim.

vss irvine

jim the car ive got with the audi gearbox has also had the wiring reduced to a bare minimum,

ecu has been tucked and fusebox in enginebay removed, your welcome to have a look at that.

jjs

yes may be worth while, just not too sure what sensors are required to feed back to the ecu,im still runing ecu, as im running mechanical gauges i dont need the oil temp and press ,i take it the turbo press sensor on the n/s inner wing is just to change the press to electrical signal for the original turb press gauge so that can be done away with , ? i have done away with most of the cable in the car only running brake lights and fuel pump, so it is basicaly to reduce as much wiring , sensors, in the engine bay to ecu,etc

vss irvine

yeah thats just for the standard guages on the n/s/f inner wing? you can lose that.

do you run a large red light for oil pressure? most race cars have this as a precaution as you cant always have your eye on the guages?

Trip

do you run a large red light for oil pressure? most race cars have this as a precaution as you cant always have your eye on the guages?

I replaced the standard oil pressure switch with a 1 bar one which will light that tiny light on the dash. My centre oil pressure gauge also has a warning function (set to whatever i want) which illuminates red and beeps with a rather annoying and loud noise.

jjs

hi, havent got one fitted but would be a good idea, i know a lot of the autograssers run them and set them so it would give them a warning of low oil pressure , and may have a chance to save the engine , a lot of them use the oild mini indicators as a warning light, Jim , another thing to add for next years mods, i dont have a standard dash fitted, but will post up some pictures later, ;-)