rear calipers

winny

hi, does anyone know if the 300zx rear caliper is a straight swap, therefore keeping the standard discs? also, can you use standard pads?

hkspulsar

Think i'm having the same problem as you mate, the rear brakes are shit on these cars, and its impossible to get hold of a decent repplacement set.

If the 300 ZX calipers are not a direct replacement does anyone know of ones which are, or which are not to much hastle to replace the shitty pulsar ones with or anywhere you can get new rear calipers for a pulsar from?

warringtonjack

I'm not sure what the braking distribution is between front and back, but I think the reason there arent many upgrades available is because it's of little benefit. I've just concentrated on the fronts, with some red stuff pads on rear.

RU55 GTR

The 300zx calipers are not straight swaps. The 300zx uses drum-brakes on it's hand-brake as the R uses the disc, therefore there is no hand-brake mechanism on the 300zx caliper, so they will not work. The same goes for the 200sx calipers, but I'm not sure in relation to the Skyline?

I'm on the hunt for new rears too as my do not have enough bite for my desired set-up. Any body know of any 2-pots?

RU55 GTR

I understand that the braking distribution is something like 70-30 (the larger being at the front). An effective set-up on the back will aid hard-braking and any braking into corners. However, the design of the R puts lots of weight over the front wheels and little over the back, so the rear doesn't have much momentum to slide-out, but the better the front is at stopping and the worse the back is, this starts to cancel out and get tail heavy! (So if that's a lot to take in!?!?!?) :)

Hope this helps?!

hkspulsar

The ones currently on my car are so fooked its unbelievable, I have tarox 6 pots up front, so can get a little interesting under heavy braking. I then bought a set that where alleged to be in 'perfect working order' but just not worth the time putting them on for them to then be just as fooked in nect to no time.

I have found this website http://www.brakepartssuperstore.org.uk/contents/en-uk/d9380.html £110 inc vat each plus £60 until old caliper returned!! but they do come with a 2 year warranty, so think I may just pay out for these, as I want an MOT and I want my R back!

Are the gti brakes identical? as these are like £20 cheaper

If anyone knows anywhere cheaper let me know.

npulsar

The ones currently on my car are so fooked its unbelievable, I have tarox 6 pots up front, so can get a little interesting under heavy braking. I then bought a set that where alleged to be in 'perfect working order' but just not worth the time putting them on for them to then be just as fooked in nect to no time.

I have found this website http://www.brakepartssuperstore.org.uk/contents/en-uk/d9380.html £110 inc vat each plus £60 until old caliper returned!! but they do come with a 2 year warranty, so think I may just pay out for these, as I want an MOT and I want my R back!

Are the gti brakes identical? as these are like £20 cheaper

If anyone knows anywhere cheaper let me know.
i can help my mate designs and builds brake upgrades and he also
srips and refurbs calipers all day long look at my thread.
the rear kit is a good upgrade makes a big difference.
i had one seized caliper and didnt know til fitting the kit
common in old cars.:?