Rear Brake Upgrade

LTLRKT

Ok ive purchased some 6pot 330mm front brakes, now im thinking that the rear will need some upgrading too as the rear brakes look pretty terrible - tiny and solid disc!

Has anyone moved the front caliper & disc to the rear?

Or is there an easier upgrade to be done. Ive searched but cant find anything other than a mention of godspeed rear disc upgrade but there is nothing on their site that mentions pulsar or gtir.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
There have been a few mods, but the front does most of the work when you're braking so upgrading the rear tends to be less of a priority. - One thing I do know is that if you put the front callipers on the rear you'll need to add a handbrake mechanism (I'm assuming you still need the car to have a handbrake, otherwise knock yourself out).

One of the members had a kit I'm sure, but I can't remember who it was now (or even if they're still making it).

LTLRKT

really? So no one upgrades the rear, only the front?

I find that strange. Wouldnt that throw the car out of balance under heavy braking? My understanding was that there should alwas be a balance, like 75% of the work at the front and 25% of the work at the rear (just an example figure) so that the car stays in balance. Or else you get the rear loosing traction, right? So if ive upgraded the front, i just assumed slightly upgrade the rear.

Any input from the guys that track their R's?

Boooooost

I will be fitting the front calipers and discs to the rear eventually, the rear hubs will need machining down a bit as the discs will not fit over and I will need to make up an adapter to mount the calipers but it should be easy enough. I will be using a hydraulic handbrake and have got a Willwood bias adjuster as I have run new lines throughout.

Spikey

if its road legal, will you not need a cable handbrake? im sure hydraulic only is a fail on the mot. i see loas of the drift boys with two handbrakes

GTI-R Nath

K Sport do a rear Brake kit with 6 or 8 Pot calipers, and Tarox do a kit with 298mm discs, braided lines and caliper brackets to keep the standard calipers

skiddusmarkus

Most people who put bigger discs on the rear just keep the standar caliper.It still doesn't do much work but balances it out better.I got some 285mm from Martin Bell who used to have a business to do with Fisher Furies if you want to search.I also spent some time looking through brake disc catalogues years back and seem to remember that an old MGBGT or something had a front disc that looked like it could work with a bit of fettling.Obviously you then need to space out the rear caliper.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I've got grooved discs on the rear with braided lines and Mintex 55 pads rear.

The bias has moved to the rear from the greater friction via the pads and also stronger peddle feel from braided lines.

Its not the best in the world, but its a hell of a lot better than standard pads, disc's and lines.

Worth doing that first and then taking it from there...

gtirjoey

As above i used to get a bit of rear end wobble at high speed/hard breaking with wilwood setup on front and standard rear setup, i just uprated rear pads which sorted the issue;-)

LTLRKT

ok so then im leaning towards saving the extra effort and just put some slotted disc's, good pads and obviously braided lines. I'll try that and see how it goes once the car is ready and run some tests. If it needs it, i think i'll just put the front calipers and disc's on the rear and be done with it.

So thats that, unless anyone else has something to add...

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.