rear brake upgrade

jonesgti_r

i've already upgraded the fronts wilwood 4 pots and massive discs and now i'm thinking about doing the back brakes..

spotted a red r in my home town the other day and it had willwoods on the rear.
thought got em on the friont so why not on the back i phoned up the company that i got the fronts of and they said the only way you can have willwoods ont the back is if you have a hydraulic hand brake fitted.. :? because there is no way you can fit the hand brake cable on to the calipers

is there any other option :?:
what does every 1 else do when they upgrade there brakes..

00sid

so do godspeed, which i have but you need to do a bit of chopping to get them to fit.

E

Edd

If you fit the larger pots on the back you will need to possibly run variable brake bias and a hydrualic handbrake

i'm fiting AP 6 pots on the front and 4 pots on the back and will be using 2 variable valves and hydraulic handbrake 8)

my mate runs a similar setup and it looks awesome :shock:

and stops pretty well :lol: :lol:

O

Odin

Now being a mod and all do you really think you should be putting that sort of response on an open forum :roll: and as I told you on msn a road side check would put you and your mate in the 5hit, Also the cable hand brake is there for a reason and that is to be able to stop your car in case of brake failure, How would you feel if you came up to a crossing full of kids and no brake's then :?: :cry: .

I have 4 kids and can not support this sort of behaviour by anybody :shock: :cry: .

rob

E

Edd

I agree slightly on your point Rob but just because i am a moderator does not mean my job is to be a moral leader of the fellow owners, my job is to moderate the forum.

Also i may run a second set of calipers to be used as a cable handbrake.

Also finally making up a hyptohetical situation involving kids is a bit low as all brake components will be new and replaced on the car and just as likely to fail than any one else on the road with old/worn brakes.

Seeing as i know how you drive in your R and the speeds you used to and will do on National Speed limit roads i think you should think about the possibilty of kids playing on the side of the road and also think of the fact if you crashed and killed yourself you would be depriving your kids of a father.

So i'd appreciate less of the IF's as your not such an angel yourself :wink:

geetee

errrm... to put a spanner in this thread.....

my STANDARD Celica (1990) has a hydraulic handbrake.

But it uses a drum brake type arrangement inside a hub kinda cast inside the rear discs for the handbrake rather than trying to apply the disc brakes.

I've not worked out if it is a separate hydraulic system to the braking - but I need to as I need to adjust the h/brake for the MOT. I suspect it is sealed and I need new h/brake shoes.

Cheers
GeeTee

O

Odin

I do indeed drive fast mate but never in town and never anywhere that there is going to be kids running around.

I also never brake the speed limit in 30 and 40 mph area's.

Also you don't know when something in your brakeing system is going to go pop even if it's new a hose could burst a disc could shatter I'v seen it happen :cry: .

And what I was trying to say about posting that 5hit is there could ba copper's reading all about you and you friendly mot mate :cry: and they might come a knocking :shock:

rob

jonesgti_r

just spooted that red r i was talking about and pulled him over asked him about the brakes and he wasn't sure what they were ( apparently he bought the car with them) under closer inspection of the rear brakes they use standard rear calipers with groved discs ( the discs are the same type that i have on the front of my r .) there the same gold colour as my willwoods..

any ideas?????????

O

Odin

I'm sure hispec do a 300mm rear disc kit that use's the standard rear caliper :wink: you then wouldn't need to revalve the rear brake's, I think it's a waste of time anyway as the front's do all the work on are car's the backs just keep it strait when your brakeing really :wink: .

I'v changed my rear disc's for some pagid grooved disc's and pads and it does feel a lot better I haven't that feeling of the back trying to overtake the front anymore under heavy brakeing, But it's still my AP 4 pot's doing all the real work up front 8) .

rob

geetee

vpulsar said
I do indeed drive fast mate but never in town and never anywhere that there is going to be kids running around.

Errm... like kids never get to go out into the country :?
And.. if they do they are just as careful on the quiet country roads as they are on their local busy inner city nightmares :?

Can you give me some examples of roads that kids aren't going to run out on? :D I hate kids I'll give those roads a miss :lol: :lol:

FFS

I shame myself :oops:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

O

Odin

well if I'm driveing down a road I know well in the middle of nowhere at midnight there's a pretty good chance that there will be no kids about, or on a duel carriageway that has no path's and you can see at least 1/4 a mile ahead, you just have to use comon sense :wink: something the younger people seem to be lacking a lot of :roll: .

Also I have never had a crash and have 19 year's no claims bonus and have had and passed over 40 driveing test for car's/crane's and lorry's.

rob

geetee

there's not really a come back to that is there? :lol:

I'll just shut up.... probably best :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

geetee

homo?? :shock:

that's just offensive......

and why would I look silly - everything I've posted is common sense.

Just cos you've managed 95 years of no claims.... tomorrow you flatten a group of girl guides on a midnight geography trip......... on your well known local 'quiet' road.

Don't be a cocky twat.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Websnowbo

Complete waste of time and effort :x

Edd, your mate's brakes will be sh1t hot, not because of the rear though, because he has 6 feckin pistons gripping feckin big front disc!

The most i would do with the rear is maybe increase the disc size slightly and use vented discs, if you want to upgrade the caliper use a caliper of a larger car, maybe a 300zx, skyline or similar..........

Also whats the point in fitting 4 pots to the rear and then using a brake bias? And the idea of 2 calipers is rediculous, let alone adding un-sprung weight? :roll:

When it comes to brakes, it's not about them looking amazing, its about safety.

I've had a lot of experience with light weight cars that were overly rear braked.

O

Odin

geetee said:
homo?? :shock:

that's just offensive......

and why would I look silly - everything I've posted is common sense.

Just cos you've managed 95 years of no claims.... tomorrow you flatten a group of girl guides on a midnight geography trip......... on your well known local 'quiet' road.

Don't be a cocky t**t.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)
Was only joshing with you gayboy :roll: why is it everybody's getting so over sensitive these day's :?: :cry: Your likeing for teenage rentboy's will be are little secret :shock: :wink: .

rob