Raising the compression?

davey red.r

rob so youve never had to take the box out in 7 year?
thats what you want,has it had any abuse rob?hope my quaife lasts that long,ill be well happy,

davey;-)

O

Odin

davey red.r said:
rob so you've never had to take the box out in 7 year?
thats what you want,has it had any abuse rob?hope my quaife lasts that long,ill be well happy,

davey;-)

Yes I had to have it rebuilt after 36k of hard use, I've done over a 100 drag launches with it over the years and lots of track days and fast road driving, The only stuff that needed replacing was the Nissan bearings and bits and bobs, The Quaife was in perfect order and they even sent me the latest version four 4th gear to replace my version 1 which had been reported to be problematic in some of the earlier boxes, But I hadn't ever had a problem with it in mine, But seeing as they where offering who am I to turn them down ;-) .

Cost wise it cost me £670 to have the box and transfer box rebuilt and delivered back to me is Scotland, If you're running lots of power and do regular track and drag days then the box will need rebuilding every 30-40k if you want it not to let you down, The same can be said of any hard used gearbox, This advice was given to me by Bernie and CTS transmissions.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

davey red.r

sound,no mines just for road use,when my box gave up last year,i decided to get a quaife, as i was going to keep the car for a while,with plans of tuning it to roughly 400bhp,rather than replacing it with standard boxes,every 5 minuets, i opted for the quaife,fingers crossed she should see me well:-D and that was a reasonable price rebuilt and delivered back to you:)

cheers,

davey;-)

O

Odin

The only other thing I've changed is that I had a Par forged 3/4th selector shaft fitted at the same time as the rebuild, And my latest mod of cause, The Phantom Grip fake LSD thingamabob lolololol.

Rob

Kev@Apex

Odin said:
And they are in this country if you need spares or have a problem that needs sorting out.
I dont consider spare parts to be a problem with PPG, yes they are in Oz, but its 4 days away by post ... and they try and keep almost everything they sell in stock, ready for dispatch. Although not the GTiR final drives I wanted just before Xmas its true ....

O

Odin

KevD said:
I dont consider spare parts to be a problem with PPG, yes they are in Oz, but its 4 days away by post ... and they try and keep almost everything they sell in stock, ready for dispatch. Although not the GTiR final drives I wanted just before Xmas its true ....

I'm not saying they can't supply what you might need regarding spares Kev, But I like to be able to pop down and shout at the people that sell me stuff face to face if I have a problem ;-) :lol: .

To be honest i don't think quaife themselves are the greatest company to deal with regarding getting hold of spares quickly, I might even go down the route of a PPG syncro straight cut gear set and final drive in the future sometime, But I'll need year or two to get over my current expenditure.

Rob

Bosso

It's pretty standard now but my gearbox are in pretty bad shape and have done about 170 000km. I'm rebuilding the engine as well. So the bhp is for me to decide. I just want something i can count on. I'm not that often on track days and the daily use of the car is not that hard. i just wan't the possibillity to play when i want. But if i do this it may be 350-380 in the engine.

O

Odin

Bosso said:
Anyone who's got something bad to say against pfitzner? i have a pretty good offer you see

I doubt very much if you will find anybody saying bad things about PPG ;-) , You can't knock the quality of their components.

Rob

Marci GTi-R

hoses problem!! please help

Hi,

My R is getting some mods. At first I let some bloke start with it, but after a week he turned out to be a stupid a hole. My engine was ripped apart and I did not know what to do with it.
I decided I give it a try. It's been 7 months already since. Now the weather is getting better I started the project but I came up with a problem so here's my question.

Where do I fit these hoses? Or where do they go?

Regards,

Ramon

O

Odin

The last one is the gearbox breather and goes on the brass pipe sticking out the top of the box, It normally clips to the side of the top mounted inter cooler, The other end of it just vents to atmosphere.

The one coming out of the plenum just under the inlet hole should go to the turbo actuator, The one in the first picture that you have in your hand in the top of the picture would go to either the carbon canister or your dump valve I'd of thought, But I can't really make out from those pics.

Is your car left hand drive then ?, The servo is on the wrong side for a right hand drive car.

Rob

youngsyp

Here you go mate, this should help for the most part: http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32249&page=2&highlight=vacume+hoses
Look at the vac hose diagram.

As for the bottom one, as Rob say's on end goes to the gearbox breather and the other end vents to atmosphere. From the picture, it looks like your one is connected as it should be.
The very top picture: the 'hose' in the middle doesn't connect to anything. It's a guide for the idle adjustment screw !
The rest you'll be able to connect up, from the diagram in the post I've attached.

Paul

P

pulsarboby

2nd photo boost solenoid should have a pipe coming from one of the little outlets straight down to wastegate actuator. that pipe appears to be sitting just in front of your little finger in photo!

in the first photo the pipe you are holding in your hand and the one with the red line pointing toward dv, actually join together via the tmic pipe (short metal pipe around 6'' long). the one your holding in your right hand (same photo) goes to carbon canister on inner wing.

the dv vacuum pipe should be teed into any of those vacuum hoses, but not the one going to fuel pressure regulator or the carbon canister! is better to tee that into boost sesor pipe located on inner wing (little black box with vacuum pipe coming out which goes to underside behind plenum)

robs covered the other gearbox pipe which as he rightly says is a breather pipe.

O

Odin

youngsyp said:
The very top picture: the 'hose' in the middle doesn't connect to anything. It's a guide for the idle adjustment screw !

That's not the adjustment screw hose Paul it's to long and thin.

Rob

O

Odin

Bobby you should know these 5hitters better than all of us lol, Mine hasn't had a standard pipe layout for over 7 years so I'm a bit rusty lol.

Rob

P

pulsarboby

youngsyp said:

Paul

dont think so paul as there is a vacuum outlet in front of that pipe which does idle speed!
and not all cars have the pipe on, a lot are removed, but i know where your coming from.

as you cant see the vacuum outlet then that pipe must run from it, but easy way to tell is pull it off and see if its an outlet pipe or adjuster screw!

rob.... every cars slightly different though as people add bits and sometimes the plumbing can be a bit of a brainache unless its totally standard! ive had cars here before that are a maze of pipework but in fact half of the pipes people have run are un-needed, your best keeping pipework to the bare minimum with as few joins as possible for optimum performance

Last edited by a moderator:

CruiseGTi-R

Rob, so you did replace your 3/4 selector fork? I was hoping to avoid doing this on mine.

Is the PPG fork or PAR better / cheaper? I assume either type fork slot in fine with the Quaiffe gearset?

O

Odin

CruiseGTi-R said:
Rob, so you did replace your 3/4 selector fork? I was hoping to avoid doing this on mine.

Is the PPG fork or PAR better / cheaper? I assume either type fork slot in fine with the Quaife gear set?

Their was nothing wrong with my old Nissan one, But the Par one is forged so a lot stronger than the standard Nissan item, I had bought it a few years before just in case I needed it at a later date, Bernie who fitted it said it fitted perfectly and didn't need any machining work at all, He also said it looked a lot stronger.

The PPG one is probably even better quality than the Par one, Just looking at the two gear sets side by side you can tell the difference in quality.

Rob

youngsyp

Odin said:
That's not the adjustment screw hose Paul it's to long and thin.

Rob
:doh: You're right me old **** sparrow..... Although, it looks like that pipe has been stuck on there, inside a larger pipe (the holy one). And, you can just make out the what it's been pushed onto which, doesn't look like a vac take off ?!

Looks like someone's done a right number on that hose layout !

Paul