Raising the compression?

tony1981

they come to just short of £400 quid with v.a.t and delivery which is a bit too much, is there anything a little cheaper? what about an exedy sports clutch?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
they come to just short of £400 quid with v.a.t and delivery which is a bit too much, is there anything a little cheaper? what about an exedy sports clutch?
What kind of budget are you looking at Tony (aprox)

AP Racing does a 284lbft organic clutch for around £300

tony1981

im hoping to keep it under £300 cos its gonna cost me a fair bit to get it done, but i can go a little over if there is a better one for a bit more. i'm not sure what bhp i'm running, i'd take a guess at about 250

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If your budget is tight, have you had a look on eBay?
(Unknown?) Organic clutch. £200
Paddle Clutch from the same place. £340
Exedy Racing Clutch - I think you've already seen this one? £275
Probably the same clutch from someone else (this time it's described as a stage 1 organic ultra fiber) £289.99 with free delivery - so about the same price.
Exedy Stage 2 - £270 but it's coming from Japan so it's £52 postage
(Unknown) Paddle clutch - ~£310 (bidding). The best paddle clutch available is what they say. Maybe they mean, "the best paddle clutch we have available"!?
Organic clutch from the same people - £195, and this one is the best organic clutch available.
Problem solved; if those are the best available you should buy them! Why would they lie about how good their product is? :der:

There are also a few selling OEM (blueprint) clutches, but I'm guessing you don't want it slipping under the increased power so I'm ignoring them.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Really... the best organic clutch available isn't really the best one?
I thought it just must be so good that they don't even need a brand for it... or maybe that is the brand: It's a The Best clutch, and they sell both a paddle and an organic version!?
Yes, that must be it. My bad - I obviously didn't understand their description.

gtir_pimp

that last one (techniclutch) is in my R with no probs since ive owned the car, which is about 3years now. had a techniclutch in my old clio 16v with no probs apart from clutch cable snapping because it was very heavy.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The pahntom grip isn't an LSD as such tho. It's a spring pack that fits in the open diff and makes it act like an LSD. I don't know how that would affect which oil to use tho.

frp

go for the exedy organic. its more than capable of servicing your current requirements and will give you room to upgrade if you wish later on. this is on my R and several others and seems to be good to 350-370ftlb (mines 350) kirko just went upto 400ftlbish and his has just started slipping. these are also quite pleasant to drive with. I picked mine up brand new for circa £220 with release bearing. and some advice..... renew the hydraulic system if its old/original. this will make a significant improvement. also me and dave spaced the pivot whilst the box was off last time and the clutch feels much better.
steve

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
that last one (techniclutch) is in my R with no probs since ive owned the car, which is about 3years now. had a techniclutch in my old clio 16v with no probs apart from clutch cable snapping because it was very heavy.
I offer no real opinion of it - just that I'm wary of auctions that don't specify a brand and make bold claims like "the best".

I have a Nismo paddle clutch in mine (or so I was told), but I have no idea what they're worth or even where you could buy one. I've never had any problems with it, but then I don't have big power, and I don't launch it (well, not very often).

Stay well clear of techniclutch theives.
Do a search, its been well documented on here and on many other forums that they are terrible clutches and a terrible company to deal with.
Ben.

johnsy

yeah im sure iv heard bad things from the R' community about techniclutch!! like the man say s research,

my motor came with an exedy so i replaced it with the same cost me £300 ,good clutch nice pedal feel, has taken alot of abuse on the road and the strip then i broke my gearbox! lol

have you considered a secondhand units,try pulsar bobby or the for sale section,

JasonR

3rd gear wine

Hi i know this has been covered befor but my gearbox wines in 3rd is this somthing that needs to be sorted asap or will it just work fine but still wine. cheers

STU4X4

Part numbers or good dealer

Anyone on here have access to the Nissan parts database for pulsars, my local dealer aint got the imports discs and i`m looking for some part numbers to order bits off them?? :der::der: