radiator

GTIR1000

hello there evryone just bought an r so dont know that much about them apart from all i have read on here and in a buying guide i have. I bought the car last friday and it has a front mount intercooler on it with built in radiator, today i opened the radiaor and found it has a brown liquid in it, i tested it for antifreeze and it has quite alot in i first thought it was oil but i took some out and it doesnt have any oil in it why is it this colour the car has recently had a recon head. is it worth flushing the radiator and the coolant system or could this be something serious.

cheers james

F

flying postman

if im right someone can correct me if im wrong but ur themostat maybe playing up thats creating the furring of the water and antifreeze worth flushing out the system

F

flying postman

hopefully its that but if left the thermostat starts blocking up

A

antilag

well easy to check if thermostats working run car up to temp then hold ya hand on the top hose and the bottom the top one shud b red hot and barely b able to hold it where as the bottom will b hot but u shud feel the temp difference and b able to hold it :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Some anti freezes are orange.

Would we get rusty water with having an ally engine?

A

antilag

yeh wen i mean rusty dnt b looking for coffee water

i always used water in the past and it always went dirty brown colours and it didnt taste very nice either :wink:

GTIR1000

cheers for the quick replies is there any way of checking for definite it isnt oil in the water, because i was only told it didnt have oil in it by the person who checked it. also in the week i noticed it was over heating i was told it could be the thermostat so was advised to take it out see how it ran and now it is spot on no overheating at all

A

Anonymous

antilag said:
well easy to check if thermostats working run car up to temp then hold ya hand on the top hose and the bottom the top one shud b red hot and barely b able to hold it where as the bottom will b hot but u shud feel the temp difference and b able to hold it :D
What if your bottom pipe is red hot too :oops: :?: