R is drinking too much optimax

antgtir

buffalobilla said:
mines not really tuned and ive never noticed any fuel in the driveway. but what i dont understand is when im driving it hard on a stretch i dont get that smell :?
Id have a quick check over the fuel system just to be on the safe side and for your own safety lol.

Also as already suggested i think, maybe the engine is overfuelling and the smell is from the exhaust. Id if poss put it on an emissions tester and see what they are like you can normally tell whether you are burning to rich or to lean etc then put it on a diagnostics for tune up etc.

Also i doubt you would see any patchs of fuel on the floor unless it was losing litres worth of fuel as it will evaporate before it hits the ground.

Ant.

A

alfyboy

i was only getting 140 miles to a tank on standard boost.
Changed my oil from 10w60 to 10w50. Changed all transmission oils and its back up to about the 200 mark.
Ive got a smell of fuel from mine as well, cant find anything wrong with it though :? :? :? :? :?

antgtir

alfyboy said:
i was only getting 140 miles to a tank on standard boost.
Changed my oil from 10w60 to 10w50. Changed all transmission oils and its back up to about the 200 mark.
Ive got a smell of fuel from mine as well, cant find anything wrong with it though :? :? :? :? :?
Interesting on how much effect the drag has :idea:

Ant.

A

alfyboy

yeah the engine felt alot smoother after it as well & the 10w50 is cheeper, :D :D :D :D

A

alfyboy

depends how long ago it was changed last.
It aint f*cking cheep mate cayse you need 7 liters of the stuff :cry:

youngsyp

buffalobilla said:
i use castrol magnitex 10w40, but havent changed my transmittion oil, shall i give that a change?
I'd use something a bit more up to the job than Magnatec, if you want the engine to last !! That isn't even a fully synthetic, is it ?! I've also read that, because of the way it is constructed, it behaves like a 'thicker' oil. I.e. they use it to quieten noisy tappets, so, you will get more 'drag' from it !

Bung in some Silkolene Pro S engine oil and Silkolene Syn 5 gear oil form the Oilman. I'm sure you'll notice the difference in the whole GTiR experience :wink: :D

Cheers

Paul

youngsyp

buffalobilla said:
is fully synthetic oil ok for the R, ive heard its not all that good for the turbo? :?
Whoever told you that, is very mis-informed chap ! It should be the only type of oil you put in the R if, you want it to last ! The only reason I can think as to why someone would tell you that is, if they are trying to sell you a car with a knackered turbo. As the synthetic oil would be thinner, it has more chance of getting by worn turbo bearings !!

You will notice a quieter engine, better wear resistance, better starting, both cold and hot. The engine will respond better and you should see better mpg. The service periods can also stretch to 6k miles :wink:

Cheers

Paul

youngsyp

buffalobilla said:
yea mite give it a try, at the moment i change my oil n filter every 1k :)
ill give the new oil a go on the next service 8)
With the fully synthetic stuff, you won't need to do that. I used to do mine every 3k miles but, saw the light ! Changing it every 6k miles will be more than adequate. Save your money for mods !! :twisted:

Cheers

Paul

buffalobilla

yea will do, cheers mate.
hopefully ill save on the fuel aswell.
can i use any fully synthetic 10w50 oil or does it have to be that brandu gave me the link to?

youngsyp

You can use any I guess but, the brand I recommended is used by a lot of guys on here and, if bought for Opieoils, is very cheap too !

I've used Mobil 1 and Motul and the Silkolene 'feels' better than both of those. Those were both 15w50 for reference !

Cheers

Paul

J

Jedi-Gti-r

I took my R down the A1 etc. to Colchester and back(to SE Sheffield)for the footie a few weeks back and i used up 60 quid :cry:

Not sure of the exact mileage and damned sure i aint gonna work the conversion out(cos i can't lol)

Mind you,i wasn't exactly sticking to the economical 56mph :wink:

Paul

A

alfyboy

stick with the silkeline pro s 10w 50 mate its great stuff and at a good price from the oil man

K

KrissJ

stevenrsturbo@aol.com said:
i manage 230-240 miles of 42 quid, at 93.9 a litre (lake district (prices are awefull))
:shock: Where's that from? Lound road and Crooklands are both 89.9 for optimax :D

I run std boost and just have exhaust, decat and induction and can get 26mpg (28 a couple of times. 285-295 miles to a tank), but that's on the work run (motorway) at old woman pace. I think its between 20-25 usually.

When I got my car though it was rediculously thirsty though (112 miles to a tank once which averaged at 11mpg :shock: :lol: ), but it was because it has an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on and some idiot had wound it up. Set it back up and it was OK, and performance was no different at all.

K

KrissJ

stevenrsturbo@aol.com said:
i manage 230-240 miles of 42 quid, at 93.9 a litre (lake district (prices are awefull))
:shock: Where's that from? Lound road and Crooklands are both 89.9 for optimax :D

I run std boost and just have exhaust, decat and induction and can get 26mpg (28 a couple of times. 285-295 miles to a tank), but that's on the work run (motorway) at old woman pace. I think its between 20-25 usually.

When I got my car though it was rediculously thirsty though (112 miles to a tank once which averaged at 11mpg :shock: :lol: ), but it was because it has an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on and some idiot had wound it up. Set it back up and it was OK, and performance was no different at all.