Quick question, VAT rate?

G

GTI-R Kid

Hi guys

I'm after getting a quote for a list of parts from a UK supplier but I don't know what vat rate is used. I know over here in Ireland its 21% on all new parts and 17.5% on services, but whats the rate over there?

Cheers

OZ-Racing

Mark_GTiR said:
OZ-'R'acing said:
Food (most),:wink:
So I take it you can tell us if a Jaffa Cake is a cake or a bisuit and why?!!?? :lol: :wink:

Mark
Yes, I can :p

A Jaffa cake is a cake because a cake starts off soft and becomes hard when it is stale, whereas a biscuit starts off hard and becomes soft when it is stale :wink:

Any more obscure questions :D

Gray

Thats the best answer ever and I agree it is a cake, the clue is in the name anyhow! :lol:

Mark_GTiR

OZ-'R'acing said:
Mark_GTiR said:
OZ-'R'acing said:
So I take it you can tell us if a Jaffa Cake is a cake or a bisuit and why?!!?? :lol: :wink:

Mark

A Jaffa cake is a cake because a cake starts off soft and becomes hard when it is stale, whereas a biscuit starts off hard and becomes soft when it is stale :wink:

50% right.... it's more to do with VAT issues. Believe it or not it went all the way to Court..

If you're bored on this Friday afternoon - read on!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A185104

Mark

marcymarc

Mark_GTiR said:
OZ-'R'acing said:
Mark_GTiR said:
OZ-'R'acing said:

Mark

50% right.... it's more to do with VAT issues. Believe it or not it went all the way to Court..

If you're bored on this Friday afternoon - read on!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A185104

Mark
PMSL :lol: I cant believe youve done a search to double check :D

Mark_GTiR

Just so people don't think I'm mental and making it up! :wink:

Man I'm bored... sorry to spam up this thread mods! :lol: :lol:

PS Marc... I can't believe you clicked the link! You must be bored too!

Gray

So it is by law a cake?
If the jaffa cake was 10x bigger then everyone would call it a cake its only because its small that people could call it a biscuit.

Like said before its a soft sponge then goes hard. Not hard then soft.

Mark_GTiR

Gray said:
So it is by law a cake?
If the jaffa cake was 10x bigger then everyone would call it a cake its only because its small that people could call it a biscuit.

Like said before its a soft sponge then goes hard. Not hard then soft.
By law - it's a cake yes - At the moment. If the government want more tax then it would have to be a biscuit. But there again... I think it must be completely covered in chocolate for it to be classified as that i.e. twix, kit-kat etc.... so in my opinion IT WILL ALWAYS BE A CAKE!

Gray

No I don't think it has to be covered in chocolate just be hard.
As you get digestive biscuits with no chocolate etc.

B

bex

i do alot of VAT at work

:(

necessities have no VAT

but i dont know how you could say a biscuit is a necessity and a cake is not?!?

Mark_GTiR

bex said:
i do alot of VAT at work

necessities have no VAT

There's only VAT on biscuits... not cakes. Cake must be classed as food.. which is non-taxable.. as said earlier. Which is why the government want to class Jaffa cakes as biscuits... so people have to pay tax on them!

P

papdog

It's like apples are VAT free, but apple juice isn't.

Oh and we're going really smart ar5e, some of the stuff for kids (clothes, car seats etc) are at a rate of 5% VAT :wink:

Graham

B

bex

Mark_GTiR said:
bex said:
i do alot of VAT at work

necessities have no VAT

There's only VAT on biscuits... not cakes. Cake must be classed as food.. which is non-taxable.. as said earlier. Which is why the government want to class Jaffa cakes as biscuits... so people have to pay tax on them!
i know thats what i was saying :roll:

Mark_GTiR

bex said:
Mark_GTiR said:
bex said:
i do alot of VAT at work

necessities have no VAT

i know thats what i was saying :roll:
Sorry... re read it.. My bad.