question on hybrid turbos

M

Mulisha

Well who builds turbos and can do this for me? And can I just send them my compressor housing? I live in Germany and they dont do that here. Unless you have an opel or a BMW.

323GT-R

There are planty of comapnies in the UK who would do this, but basically they sell turbos off the shelf with this already done, so most likely they will just sell you a complete exchange turbo rather than convert yours.

You might be able to persuade one of them to do what you want, but I doubt they would offer any warranty on an unknown turbo. Then again, they would need the complete turbo, as the centre shaft would need to be rebalance with the new compressor wheel. This also means they have to strip and rebuild the turbo, so most likely new bearings etc, so the costs soon add up... You could save money by stripping the turbo yourself, and just sending the shaft, but what if it's warn or bent? You would still also need to replace bearings, so I just dont' see it as a sensible option. My advice is to just buy a hybrid turbo on an exchane basis, in the long term it will be worth it.

M

Mulisha

I hear what your typing, I was looking for a way for an upgrade without the hassle. I already have a Garrett GT25.... I think? wanted it bigger.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
You're still looking at the problem from the wrong side. If all you're after is around 340-360hp then just get you turbo fitted with 360 deg race bearings at your local turbo servicing store. 1.4 bar and away you go. They will have them in Germany as well if you look around. Isn't KKK a German manufacturer?

Cost around £400 and your turbo will be as good as new, strong as an ox and with less lag.

Anymore flow than that and you need to start messing with trims, as per 323 gtr says.

If you want more than 340ish you must upgrade your injectors, fuel system pistons etc etc etc etc etc. :roll:

What HP are you after?

M

Mulisha

yeah we went through this already about having an A/R 80 not an A/R 60 on my compressor housing. dont really know if its a t28. There is also no turbo shops within a hundred miles. Turbocharged tuning shops dont exist. Never mind I will just do what everyone else does and stay with the crowd.

Peace.