question on hybrid turbos

M

Mulisha

Ready here goes...... What if I keep my T28 turbo ( I think) and remove the cold side and install the biggest cold side turbine housing and wheel that will fit in its place. Will that work? And if it can and does work who can supply the turbine wheel and housing, or do you guys know what size housing would be the biggest to fit? ok now back to the drinkin :lol:

M

Mulisha

gotta move this back up to the top because I think it would benefit all if you could stick a huge compressor wheel on the turbo we already have. Its like having a TD06 20g but only having the front half and no spool up time :D

Keira

wouldn't the small in comparrison turbine have trouble getting the compressor to spin up quick enough ???

M

Mulisha

I dont know, thats what I was trying to figure out. I know they have T3/ T4e hybrids. And the guys in Japan do this a lot with t3 / T04s or T06. Just a thought and it will be cheaper than a new turbo?????

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think you'd be increasing lag by just bolting a larger compressor on, unless the turbine is over specced for the origional compressor.

M

Mulisha

imho it shouldnt be laggier because the exhaust side of the turbo is staying the same. its not like you are trying to spin a 37 foot propeller. all the exhaust side is doing is spining a slightly heavier compressor wheel and the compressor wheel is sucking in the air. am I close or did I miss the nail!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The way I'm looking at it is from off boost the turbine has the same amount of energy available to turn a larger (heavier) compressor, so it will take slightly longer to get it spinning up to speed. ( I could be wrong tho)

M

Mulisha

I can live with slightly longer spool-up, but It shouldn't be dramatic. I was looking for a cheaper alternative than buying a TD06 or something like that. You are talking to a guy who can tafford to put any mods on his car so he strips it and thinks of what to lighten next. I make the car faster by weight reduction. Hence PO Boyz Mulisha on the back of my car :D

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Its not just the weight of the turbine but the weight of the air you are trying to move with it that creates resistance as well. You'd defo get more lag and couldn't achieve the same peak boost before your turbine runs out of energy. Couldn't say whether the new peak would be 1 or 2 bar so in practice it might not matter.

M

Mulisha

Then why do they make hybrids. :?: oh and I just want to make 1.2 bar.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Like I said, theory, not practice. In simple terms its a bit like a gearbox except you've only got one gear. By increasing the size of the compressor relative to the turbine is a bit like changing your gear relative to your engine.

If you wanted to do 60 mph, you could choose 2nd and work it to the limit or choose 5th and have a relaxed drive. The car's engine doesn't have enough force to pull away in 5th but it can in second. 5th could take you to 150mph but only starts working at above 100mph

This is just a simple analogy and the tip of the iceberg of choosing your turbo.

My own choice was to "uprate" the T28 to its theoretical limit of 1.5-1.6 Bar and get 380bhp and is the equivalent of ragging a car in 2nd gear. At this point other people have chosen 3rd and increased the compressor. I want minimal lag so have not but I now need to be extra careful on my cooling with both oil cooling and probably water injection to compensate.

M

Mulisha

How bout this. I have a A/R 80 housing, whats the biggest wheel I can fit in the compressor housing?

M

Mulisha

I did some more research.
For the past year I have had a Super 60 turbocharger on
my car. This turbo started out life as a T25. The compressor
housing was bored out to fit in the Super 60 compressor fan.
The inlet to the compressor housing is visibly larger.
The exhaust side was an un-ported T25. At least until I
ported it myself in May of this year.
So the new question is whats the biggest wheel we can put in that housing?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
errr... a super 60 :wink:

the T28 already has the 60. The super 60 has a slightly modified profile to flow more air. If you go to the turbonetics website it shows all the availble compressor wheels and there corresponding flow maps.

The super 60 has a different A/R and takes you up to around the 380bhp mark but does need the housing to be bored out slightly. Not a big job in the correct hands.

Porting does help as well in improving air flow.

TBH, your looking at the problen from the wrong side. Decied on what max HP you want to achieve and at what level of boost and then pick your compressor.

M

Mulisha

I was just looking for a little more airflow without having to buy a new turbo. Cheap quality tuning!

E

Eric Yellow

I got my compressor housing enlarged and had a 76 !!!! mm compressor wheel fitted, the inlet also was enlarged from about 44 to 53 mm.
The lag is the same (if not less) and there is more power at a lower boost pressure.
I got about 255-260 bhp at 0,6 bar right now.
Measured with an Apexi RSM at a temperature of 23 degrees outside.
Didn't get that with the turbo in standard form.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Eric Yellow said:
I got my compressor housing enlarged and had a 76 !!!! mm compressor wheel fitted.
Blimey, I didn't think there was that much spare space available!! :D

How thick is the meatl housing now? Any worries about reliability on high boost?
Jim

E

Eric Yellow

No worries yet...engine is in pieces now.....
Waiting for JE pistons...;)

M

Mulisha

I told you non believers that it could be done, lets here it, come on, " I TOLD YOU SO" :D So Eric Yellow where did you get the compressor wheel and what kind and brand and how much? Thanks again!!!!

Cheers