quaiffe gearboxes?

J

jim turbo

been browsing the forum for a little while now, and am getting a gti-r when my current car sells, and am planning on keeping it off the road for a year for a full strip down/rebuild etc, with planned power output at 330-350bhp (ps, what will this give at the wheels?), but....i know the gearboxes can be the first weak point on these cars. i've noticed a few of the cars in the cars for sale section on here advertise as having 'quaiffe gearbox', now does this mean you guys are literally buying complete gearboxes from quaiffe or simply the gears/internals and building them up yourselves?if it is just the internals i'd like details of what exactly is replaced/the weak point in these boxes as i'd rather sort this out properly rather than have to take the thing out if/when it does break lol
cheers

O

Odin

You should be fine on a standard box at 350bhp if you don't drop the clutch everywhere.

You get just the gearset from quaife and then get burnie or Ian to build it up for you with new bearing's and stuff, it will cost up to 3k to get it done prop. I think Edd will have a 8000 mile quaife box up for grabs soon at about 2k I think but you will need to pm him yourself.

rob

J

jim turbo

cheers guys. any idea of power output at the wheels if approx 350bhp at the flywheel?
what sort of transmissio losses do you get through the 4x4 system on these cars?

A

Anonymous

jim turbo said:
cheers guys. any idea of power output at the wheels if approx 350bhp at the flywheel?
what sort of transmissio losses do you get through the 4x4 system on these cars?
generally anywhere from 20% upwards depending on what r/r you go to and what monkey is operating it :wink: :twisted:

Si..

oap-r said:
jim turbo said:
generally anywhere from 20% upwards depending on what r/r you go to and what monkey is operating it :wink: :twisted:
i'd rather have a monkey do the job than half the so called experts running them at the mo. :lol: :lol:

as for the box, i've been in a very mildly tuned 'R' thats stripped teeth of std gears so at 350bhp you'd be better off getting quaiffe in there.
you'll be more inclined to use the power you've created rather than pu*sy foot around using a std box. you wont have any problems with a correctly assembled quaiffe kit at that power level. :D

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I always thought that you loose about 24% with the GTiR's... Think the transmission loses are less with a Quaife Box though...

350bhp @ Fly = 266bhp @ wheels...

Rishi

pete-r

im still on a standard box now jim and my car runs close to 350bhp but i can tell that the box is starting to suffer :?so ive been taking it easy recently 8) .i think a quaiffe is my next upgrade.where abouts are you in colchester?

A

Anonymous

FFS boys,don't take everything so litterally.i said 20% UPWARDS :shock:

nismoboy

imo transmission losses on the R are very high (30-35%) they seem to be amoung the highest out of ours scoobs and evo`s as they seem to have losses of around 20-25% :( only easy option is get some redline shockproof lightweight gear oil in.

I would have thought there would be higher transmission losses with the quaiffe due to have thicker gear teeth :?:

J

jim turbo

pete-am in langham, on the ipswich side of colchester. think i saw you again in your R thursday afternoon at bottom of ipswich road, was a couple of cars behind you lol. i like the idea of the quaiffe box but not loving the price. when i get the car i'll be speaking to a guy who has a contract with quaffie and can also fit things like this so i'll see what i can do on price. how much do quaiffe charge just for the internals?

A

Anonymous

vpulsar said:
£1600 ish I think fella :cry:
£1625 + VAT :cry: :cry: :cry:

i did hear that hiteq do the gearset for a nice price but don't know if that's dependant on them fitting it.

O

Odin

Well £25 out not a bad guess an old fella was it :lol: :lol: .

How's your's comeing along bruce?

rob

A

Anonymous

vpulsar said:
:cry: :cry: :cry: they won't release the car until i pay them £1300 to cover their {x2} screw ups.you know it's all going to end badly :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

btw,the car is finished and the clutch/flywheel has been fitted correctly this time by AGRA :wink:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
oap-r said:
vpulsar said:
:cry: :cry: :cry: they won't release the car until i pay them £1300 to cover their {x2} screw ups.you know it's all going to end badly :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

W@ANKERS!!...