Quaife Main Shaft Wanted

Empty Pockets

Just out of interest, how much did quaife want for a new one ?

I know someone who's dad works there, haven't spoke to him for a while but i could try and get hold of him, might be able to get it a little cheaper, no promises though obviously.

ckd281081

yeah ive heard that a couple of times now, that the standard is stronger than the quaife. Surely a standard one wouldnt mate up to the rest of a Quaife gearset though would it?

ckd281081

If it did, then id be taking one of my standard boxes apart and sending the main shaft off to get shot peened ;) Ive already spoke to Quaife about getting their gearset shot peened, they said there would be no point as its already treated

Last edited:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Just take the standard shaft off and add the Quaife gears.

That's what most people do, including me. (3rd 4th and 5th)

ckd281081

Thats definitely food for thought Andy. Im gonna be running 500+bhp though, but i'm wondering if shot peening/cryo treating the main shaft, 1st and 2nd gears would take it. I spoke to Quaife the other day and they couldnt confirm a power/torque figure that was safe with them, which didnt fill me with much confidence

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I spoke to Quaife the other day and they couldnt confirm a power/torque figure that was safe with them, which didnt fill me with much confidence
They won't because they don't want to be held accountable for anything if they say something and the opposite happens.

I rang them about something gear related previously and they didn't want to answer my questions or give straight answers.

That's typical for any business, they want to sell you their product, but don't really offer decent after service or commit to helping you later (unless it's buying more projects from them).

In my experience Quaife seem to be worse than most in this regard, as usual for this country excellent engineering let down by the f*cking cretins that are left to sell it.

red reading

Quaife will be fine at 500hp, it will be other things that can fail, at if using a standard input shaft get everything superfinished , don't waste your time shot peening the bloody shaft and the two cogs needed as they were done at the factory! Someone keeps banging on about shot peening but the truth is it's hardley worth it on a 25 year old 100,000 mile gearset. Three things break gearboxes wear,torque and bad drivers.

tbh you are best to get a quaife Mainshaft as that will be new and will take all you can put thru it....after all you have the rest of the gearset, if building a box look at getting the cases cleaned, blasted and cryo treated as that will at least help re stabilise the old cases as they become brittle with age and heat cycles.