quaife info please

P

pulsarboby

wonder if anyone that has a quaife fitted can enlighten me:-D

done around 250 miles in car now but have noticed since box was fitted that its very noisy. i know there supposed to whine through the gears but what i thinks more worrying is that when cars at idle the box sounds like a bag of spanners untill you dip the clutch then it quitens down.
the more miles im doing the worse it seems to get.

do any of you that are running quaifes have the same noise at idle untill you dip the clutch?
checked all the oil levels and they are fine!

Mr GTiR

pulsarboby said:
do any of you that are running quaifes have the same noise at idle untill you dip the clutch?
Sounds like it's your clutch release bearing that is fooked.

P

pulsarboby

i thought that, but when you think about it the release bearing sits on the outer sleeve of the mainshaft so will not spin untill it engages the pressure plate so that kind of rules that out.
also the noise only stops once the pedal is depressed about half way so its under pressure from pressure plate!

if the bearing was chattering then i think it would stop as soon as it hit the pressure plate

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr GTiR

I've had this before and it was the release bearing that was goosed. Doubt very much a Quaife box would rattle like the way you have described.

nex

not got a twin plate clutch have you? those sound like the bottom of the car is about to fall out sometimes.

P

pulsarboby

yeah hope it is just the release bearing, if so then il just leave it as i really dont want to remove everything again now that shes all running so fine!

just cant understand how its making such a racket unless its under real firm pressure and it was the same clutch setup that was on my old box and there was no noise with that, very strange indeedy.

nex....no its an rps paddle left calf muscle strenghener:lol: :lol:

Animaldaz

I dont have a quaife but my box is noisy in nuetral. Same as you Bob the noise goes away when you depress the clutch, i too theoretically discounted the realease bearing as there normally noisy when the clutch is down. I just put it down to worn bearings, its been this way for that last 2.5 years and doesnt appear to be causing a problem other than being annoying. Or its the springs in the pressure plate rattling.

davey red.r

my quaife is okay, does get quieter when the clutch is dipped,
brand new release bearing fitted ,when the os went in 1k ago.
you may of bought a one that needs surgery,did you open it up bob when you bought it?

davey

Last edited:

ashills

bobby did u strip and check before u fitted it and whats it like through the gears does it fast change ok
if the noise goes when u stick the clutch down its bearings in the box a few of mine have had that changed the bearings and made it alot quieter also ive had a quaife where it was noisey and it was the clip that holds 3-4th in place has got broken and was ratlling round and wouldnt fast change 3-4 easily

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Mine is quiet when idling but squeals more than most when on the move but according to Bernie thats down to the gearset having been shot peened, cryo'd and polished.

I very much dought it's the release bearing, like Alan said it will be internal bearings :?

MORF114

your clutch fork isnt rattling against your slave is it that sounds like a bag of spanners and goes away when clutch depressed.

P

pulsarboby

im gonna put car on ramp tomorrow and remove the slave cylinder and hold the fork right back so in theory it cant then touch the pressure plate!
if the noise is still there then like alan says you have to take a close look at the bearings in box etc!
the cars not been over 4.5rpm at the mo but this is a curcuit car and the box will need to be put through its paces, the last thing i need is it spitting its gutts out all over the track when im racing it, so its gonna be better to get this prob sorted before i end up wrecking the entire box.

really getting sick of all this aggro now, finally looks like engine is a goodun and now possible probs with the box which will mean more delays which could eventually result in me missing another start to race season.

alan....wished i had stripped it now, if it turns out to be the box then i aint gonna be a happy man, not after shelling out 2k on it, not noticed any probs with gear selection but then again ive not tried to race through the gears yet so i dont know tbh

will see what happens when ive totally eliminated the release bearing

Last edited by a moderator:

GTIR-LOZ

sounds like your input shaft bearings bob, the skylines have the same problem, to test if you dip your clutch it goes away;-)
if its with the clutch disengaged then its the release bearing

azboy

GTIR-LOZ said:
sounds like your input shaft bearings bob, the skylines have the same problem, to test if you dip your clutch it goes away;-)
if its with the clutch disengaged then its the release bearing
yes ur right m8 but best to change them all when out ull find sometimes its quieter and other times louder, ive seen loads of cars with this always the input sharft bearing and sounds dreadfull, bmw minis always do this to very shit boxes they r even with low mileage.

warringtonjack

My quaife makes a very dull clunky noise every now and again, and I have difficulty shifting it!

I'll have to move it a bit further away from the garage door. :lol: :lol: :lol:

P

pulsarboby

checked out the release bearing yesterday and it definately aint that.
so looks like its the bearings in the box that are on their way out:sad: not a happy bobby at all really!

question is now! do i take a gamble and leave it till the clutch is boogered and hope that they will be ok, or remove the whole bl00dy thing again and strip it all down to repair it GRrrrr! wished i had just bought the gearset now as i was originally gonna do, sold a good box for this too:sad:

Gutted for you matey.

Personally i would pull the box out, and sort it the now, as if you leave it and go out on track with it first time, everytime you give it the beans you will be listening for it to go bang and not enjoy the track time as much!!!!

gtirjoey

to 100% rule out release bearing take of the slave cylinder, as this gives enough pressure so that when your foot is off clutch the release bearing will still be sitting on clutch cover spinning, otherwise when you press clutch you would have a gap in between bearing and clutch, causing play.