Power down and boost wont go any higher..

P

pushermanR

Just fitted a fmic and some other bits..on the way to the mot test the power was down and the boost level was staying around .7 when its usually just under 1(using a turbosmart valve) on the aftermarket guage..plus thought it might fail on running rich but the test guy says its running lean,,What could be the cause..air leak..ignition.(all the ignition is new apart from the coil)all the cylinders are sweet did a compression test and got just under 150 on all pistons..Any ideas please its doing ones swede in

youngsyp

One thing at a time bud. With regard to the power issue, have you checked for boost/vacuum leaks ?

What have you changed with the fuel system ?

P

pushermanR

just put a new fuel filter on..thats all i did with the fuel system..I fitted a fmic ,new dump valve and a new air filter..on the tick over i also get a slight miss every now and then too.

stumo

...................it ran well..........you changed something......it ran bad

between here ^^^^ .....................and.......................here^^^^..... you've c0cked up and left something off/not connected something etc etc check every pipe, nut, clip etc etc that you have touched since it ran well (ie before fitting the fmic), you'll find something missing/ off/missing/etc.

steve963

stumo said:
...................it ran well..........you changed something......it ran bad

between here ^^^^ .....................and.......................here^^^^..... you've c0cked up and left something off/not connected something etc etc check every pipe, nut, clip etc etc that you have touched since it ran well (ie before fitting the fmic), you'll find something missing/ off/missing/etc.
are you having a bad day stumo? lol let me guess.. ladygarden not open for gentlemans relish:sad:

anyway back to me beer...

Dooie Pop Pop

steve963 said:
are you having a bad day stumo? lol let me guess.. ladygarden not open for gentlemans relish:sad:

anyway back to me beer...
no i think he' s probably right in a logical kind of way;-)

stumo

I've had a great day thanks.

I was just pointing out that the car was running well before the work was carried out and ran badly after therefore something wasn't done correctly when the work was carried out.

Fitting a FMIC isn't going to change anything** therefore something was done incorrectly, ie left off a pipe, clip etc etc.

The easiest thing to do is panic because your car is running badly but if you think logically something must be wrong for it to run as it is as it was running ok before.

I've re-read my original post and still don't know why you thought i was having a bad day.

** ok, it might boost slightly slower etc etc but it will essentially be the same.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
When you fitted the front mount, what did you do with the 2 rubber hoses that connected under the top mount?;-)

Double check all your boost hoses are tight.

stumo

wouldn't you just get unlimited boost if those little hoses weren't connected?

Last edited:

DanDud

stumo said:
We had a blast in mine if you remember at unlimited boost cos i did the above, ran fine for 2 days till we figured it out and its still fine today:D Didnt it hit 24PSI on the gauge IIRC? Was bloody quick though lol

stumo

there was no "we" figuring it out. You ran it for two days until you asked me, I then connected the guage, then WE then went for a blast and i told you that there must be a pipe off. :doh:

Kids :der:

DanDud

stumo said:
there was no "we" figuring it out. You ran it for two days until you asked me, I then connected the guage, then WE then went for a blast and i told you that there must be a pipe off. :doh:

Kids :der:
Thats what i meant :D

P

pushermanR

its the Dump valve leaking..blanked it off and went for a run..power is back..need to get a new dump valve then..or keep it blanked off and hear that awesome spool down sound from the back pressure..not gonna have turbo for long though am I....

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
stumo said:
Yes, but I was getting at he may have replaced them with one piece of hose to make it look tidy, thereby removing the restrictor and reducing boost.

P

pushermanR

didnt know there was a restrictor in the intercooler boost pipe work...Ive just got the boost hose coming from the turbo actuator to the inlet manifold with the turbo smart controller in between..

stumo

Fast Guy said:
Yes, but I was getting at he may have replaced them with one piece of hose to make it look tidy, thereby removing the restrictor and reducing boost.

fairesnuff