Pop goes the something or other

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Drving to work today and after 2 lovely overtakes that only the R can safely do, tidly round the next few bends but then a puff of smoke out the back. :doh:

Still driving fine but then I approached the town to drive through and every time I went to pull away there was a cloud of smoke. :oops:

Up to 1500rpm there is a slight scooby like firing but once rolling it sounded fairly normal. Thankfully I made it the last 5 miles to work with only slightly bemused faces everytime I pulled away at traffic lights :lol:

The time my original engine failed, the road behind dissapeared in white smoke quite rapidly. The culprit was a pretty minor looking piston failure when we eventually took the engine apart.

So my experience would say probably turbo, possibly ring land. I'll pop out at lunch time and tentaviely fire up the engine again. A mate has my compression tester which I need to get back to check the pistons but tonight I can check in the cylinders at least.

I'm not worried about any sympathy as once again the R has brought me to work safely, economically and with a smile on my face.

It just might cost a bit more to get home again :lol:

Jim

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
This is just an excuse to sell-up and buy a Porsche isn't it?

Failing that, maybe you're looking for an excuse to get a disco potato - less power, but coming-on earlier making it more usable?

Good luck with it anyway!

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Am I that transparent George :lol::lol:

If I could get hold of one I could easily fit a disco potato in a weekend assuming that's the only issue. I'm abroad again in just over a week for 10 days which makes everything painfully close to JTS. :doh:

@trond. I think you're right about being thick skinned. I phoned my wife once I got to work and after 8 years of R ownership she didn't really react either. She just asked if I needed picking up tonight and if I do to let her know before 4pm.

Trondelond

@trond. I think you're right about being thick skinned. I phoned my wife once I got to work and after 8 years of R ownership she didn't really react either. She just asked if I needed picking up tonight and if I do to let her know before 4pm.
There must be some truth in that; as I blew a hose during a roadtrip, I was very calm about it, drove to some houses on idle, asked a stranger for a screwdriver, fixed the problem and was on my way again.
I wouldn't have reacted the same way with any other car! :D This may be due to the fact that R owners get to know their cars pretty well from all the tinkering they have to do.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Am I that transparent George :lol::lol:

If I could get hold of one I could easily fit a disco potato in a weekend assuming that's the only issue. I'm abroad again in just over a week for 10 days which makes everything painfully close to JTS. :doh:

I just remember you talking about exactly this scenario on the weekend.

I think Tronde has a point; you get to the point where something goes wrong and you just calmly pull-over and open the bonnet. "That feels boost related... ah one of my vacuum lines has come off. Sorted".

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I just went to the car, it started up and idled reasonably well. prod the accelerator and it gave a gentle puff of smoke. Not obviously anymore rattling than usual. I don't particularily want to drive the car home though as there's clearly a problem.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Its oil smoke and the temps/pressures were all quite normal. Worth ruling out the HG as well though.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I'll give you £50 for the car!
Sold.. although I maybe should have held out for a curly wurly :doh:

One caveat is I might need your help towing it to my place first ;-)

My current plan is to leave it at work tonight and tomorrow bring in some tools. Check, the plugs, water, cylinder and compression and decide whether or not to risk driving it anywhere,

How is Dan geting on with his 2860? Did he go for a .64 ar in the end? They're £807 delivered from Turbo dynamics in 3 days. Assuming engine is okay this might be the favourite option. I could send the 3071 off for fixing whilst I'm away as another option. I believe a recore is a similar price though.

Last edited:

Thor

at mine the oil smoke comes from cracked head ;-) piston rings, HG, valves and valve seals was ok but the head was 12x cracked. The compresion was only 6 ~ 7 bar on all cylinders there...

stumo

Sold.. although I maybe should have held out for a curly wurly :doh:

One caveat is I might need your helping towing to my place first ;-)

My current plan is to leave it at work tonight and tomorrow bring in some tools. Check, the plugs, water, cylinder and compression and decide whether or not to risk driving it anywhere,

How is Dan geting on with his 2860? Did he go for a .64 ar in the end? They're £807 delivered from Turbo dynamics in 3 days. Assuming engine is okay this might be the favourite option. I could send the 3071 off for fixing whilst I'm away as another option. I believe a recore is a similar price though.
He's not done much with it....:roll:

it's all ready to be mapped but he hasn't pulled his finger out yet!:roll::lol:

Thor

no there was nothing water in oil! when is the problem with smoke? after gear change in high revs for a second comes an oil smoke and after there everything is ok?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Its most noticable when stopped, minimal at idel but when I first accelerate it leaves a cloud. Once up and runing its not so bad as long as its not under heavy load.

I'll do the testing tomorrow as until then its just speculation. Thanks for your concern.

Cheers,
Jim

Thor

Yes it is only speculation but i would estimate that a piston rings or an exhaust valve makes troubble.

let us know after testing what it is!