Please recommend me a boost controller

S

Stoned

Right. I have a fairly standard R apart from:-

Apexi air filter, goose decat, uprated clutch, uprated spark plugs and soon Walbro fuel pump. The bottom end was rebuilt to standard spec by Abbey Motorsport 15k miles back so runs sweet.

I want to be able to run more boost than my current 0.8bar and I also want a lower boost for long motorway journeys which I am doing more and more often these days.

So my requirements are
1) Needs to look funky ;)
2) Needs to be able to set 3 boost settings NOT including wastegate setting
3) Needs to be around £300 or less.

I was thinking of setting one with 0.5, 0.8 and 1.1 bar of boost. For the 1.1 do I have to get a fuel controller and uprated IC?
And will the R overfuel if I run at 0.5 bar?

Should I look for anything particular?

Cheers all

A

AJ4

Hey bud,

1.1 bar should be ok on a standard ecu, might be close to maxing out the AFM.

For a standalone controller I'd suggest the Greddy Profec B-spec 11. It allows you to set 3 boost levels, low, high and off. Supposed to be the best boost controller out there as well...

Depending on future mods, you might want to consider something else, an E-manage would only be a little bit dearer and you can then adjust timing / fuel etc as well.

I used to use a Profec B before I got my Apexi, and its much better than the Apexi stuff by far.

Definately need the fuel pump, the original one should be able to cope with 1.1 bar ok, but you don't know how worn it is etc. Best be on the safe side and get an uprated one before running 1.1.

For under £300 you'll be lucky to get an electronic one unless its second hand. The only other options would be an adjustable bleed valve ( not very good ) or an uprated actuator ( which can only be adjusted off the car ).

S

Stoned

Thanks AJ4, very helpful reply.

These fuel controllers, are they something a professional has to setup, or is it self learning?

I can actually afford more than £300 so if paying more for something gets me the ideal unit that does both, I shall do so :)

OZ-Racing

AJ4 said:
3 boost levels, low, high and off
I thought it was just 2. In the off position it reverts to the low setting :?

That's how I interpreted what I read-up on them. Can anyone clarify this :?:

S

Stoned

So none of these offer 3 adjustable settings?

I suppose Abbey set my boost to 0.8bar which is fine for the middle setting, but I dont know how they did this. I cant see any bleed valves or the like so I assume they adjusted the actuator.

My actuator is set to .95 bar, so when the profec is switched off, this is what I get. Low setting is 1.25 bar, and high has yet to be set up (Interpro next month :) )

Ergo, I have 3 boost settings available.

S

Stoned

When the boost controllers are off do you still get a display readout so you know what boost you are running?

If so I might adjust the actuator so I run 0.5bar with it off, and then use the controller to control the 0.8 and 1.1bar settings.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Why do you want to run 0.5bar? It's less than standard. Why not have 0.8 as your low setting?

S

Stoned

For long motorway journeys mate where performance is not an issue.

stugtir

hi mate, go for the greddy profec b spec 11 as suggested! its the best by far in my opinion i swapped to an apexi avcr! and i regret it all the time!!

the greddy is very user friendly and alot easier to change between boost settings quickly(just a touch of a button)

On the apexi u have to scan through a couple of menus before u can change boost settings!! :evil:

oh and an added bonus ive seen em on ebay for £150 buy it now :shock:

stu

stugtir

vpulsar said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33742&item=7969368680&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

£141.36 pence 8) :wink: .

rob
well done rob u ebay whore!! :wink:

stu

O

Odin

stugtir said:
vpulsar said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33742&item=7969368680&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

£141.36 pence 8) :wink: .

rob
well done rob u ebay whore!! :wink:

stu
your welcome :oops: :lol: .

rob

A

AJ4

The greddy displays both psi and bar ( but not at the same time :D ) Its a digital guage, so it better reading it in bar anyway, the psi scale tends to jump about so much you can't read the f^&cking thing :D

As mentioned above, if you have an adjustable actuator you can have 3 boost settings. Never seen the point myself, when I used the greddy on hi boost all the time :D If I didn't want to go fast I just used less accelerator ;):D

I wouldn't worry about having a low boost for motorway anyway, if your not caning it and just cruising along at 70mph you'll be lucky if you make a couple of psi anyway.. :?:

A

AVOGTIR

i'm looking at the blitz ebc, id III i think it is, from what i have heard it's the best and the eaiest to setup.